Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Parmesan Tilapia


Last summer, after the blond boy's wedding, we took the Oregon boys and their chicks to the San Diego Zoo.  It was a beautiful day, the sun was shining, everyone was happy.  We spend a wonderful day together.  One of the things we did was take the bus tour.  About 40 minutes on a bus stopping at different animal areas and the driver giving out information about each area.

We got to the hippo ponds.  There were those giant animals lounging in the crystal clear water with about a million fish swimming around their hind quarters.  The fish were tilapia.
"What are they doing there?" the driver asked us with a smile.  "Why, they are cleaning the tanks.  Think about that next time you order tilapia."

And he ruined it for me.  I haven't been able to eat tilapia since.

Well, I bought some at the store and decided to force myself.  I like tilapia, it is a very mild fish and tastes like what ever you put on it. So I thought if I put something on it and think about anything but hippos, I would be fine.

I seasoned the fish with Italian Seasoning, salt and pepper, added a creamy parmesan topping and baked it.  With about 5 minutes of cooking time left, I added some seasoned bread crumbs and finished it in the oven.  It was delicious.  Dave, the fish hater ate it and said it was good, so I consider that a success.  We didn't even think of hippos at dinner.

Parmesan Tilapia

4 large tilapia fillets (about 2 lbs.)
Italian seasoning
salt
pepper
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
1/4 cup parmesan
1 Tbsp. butter
1 clove garlic
1/2 cup breadcrumbs

Preheat oven to 350˚F.  Spray pan with cooking spray.  Rinse tilapia fillets and blot dry with paper towel.  Place fish in pan with room between each fillet.  Season with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.

Mix mayonnaise and parmesan together, top each fillet with mayo/cheese mixture, covering to the very edges.  Bake for 15-20 minutes, depending on thickness of fish (it should start to flake with a fork).

Meanwhile, melt butter in small saute pan, add garlic.  Add breadcrumbs and toast until golden brown.

Take fish from oven, cover with breadcrumbs.  Bake an additional 5 minutes.

March 13, 2013     Daylight  11 hours, 31 minutes, 26 seconds     Temp. H 9/ L -16˚F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.