Monday, August 26, 2013

Rhubarb Muffins

It froze last night.  We got our first good frost for the Fall.  That is the end of the zucchini plants.  They were really the only thing left in the garden.  Dave cut the last of the zucchini and I pulled the wilted plants for the compost bin.



Winter is inevitable, I told Donna we should just embrace it, it is going to come.  But I'm not really feeling it either.  I am not looking forward to the cold mornings, the cold trip to work, plugging in the car, building a fire every, every evening, the snow, the ice fog... nope, I'm not into it yet.


So to save off the cold in my kitchen this morning, I made rhubarb muffins.  The oven warmed the kitchen, the muffins filled the house with the scent of cinnamon, sugar, and oatmeal.  The muffins were sweet with a tender crumb.  The tart rhubarb was delicious next to the sweetness of the brown sugar in the muffins and the raw sugar crunch on the top.  I could pretend that it was still summer and winter was not knocking on the door.

Rhubarb Muffins
adapted from Bourbonnatrix Bakes

In a small bowl wisk together:
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup oil
1 egg
1 tsp. cinnamon

In a large bowl, combine:
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 cup rolled oats
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt

Make a well int he middle of the dry ingredients, pour in the wet ingredients and mix until evenly combined.

Fold in 2 cups chopped rhubarb.  Fill paper lined cups 2/3 full.  Top with sugar in the raw (optional).

Bake in a 350°F oven for 30 minutes.

Makes 18 muffins

I linked to Homemade Mondays.

August 26, 2013   Daylight 15 hrs, 15 min. 34 sec.   Temp. H 66/ L 36°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.