Monday, November 23, 2015

Crock Pot Steel Cut Oatmeal with Pears


The curly haired boy and the DIL are here for a week.  They will be here for Thanksgiving and then head home.  The original plan was they would be here to help while I was recovering, but now we will have a fun visit!

They arrived Friday night, Saturday morning at 12:30 and we welcomed them home with a hot buttered rum next to the fire, since I have the mix in my freezer, and then off to bed.  In the morning, this warm, wonderful oatmeal was ready.  I have a little syrup warmed for the top, some chopped walnuts and a drizzle of cream and breakfast is served.

It is a bit of a trick, they will think I am making wholesome, good-for-you meals while they are home...nope.  We are starting with these baby back ribs on Saturday, and eating our way through the week, culminating with our Thanksgiving dinner, and then sending them home Friday, fat and full!


Slow Cooker Steel Cut Oatmeal
1 1/4 cup steel cut oatmeal
5 cups water
1/4 cup brown sugar or more depending on taste
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 apples, peeled and cubed

Spray crock pot with cooking spray. Add all ingredients and stir.  Cook on low for 5-6 hours or warm for 8-9 hours.
I don't have a fancy crock pot with a built in timer so I have a timer I bought at the store.  I set the timer for midnight plug it in and let it go.

1 year ago:    Sourdough Potato Bread
2 years ago:  Apple Butter in the Crock Pot
3 years ago:  Brown Sugar Button Cookies and Grandma's Button Bag
4 years ago:  Whole Wheat Millet and Dried Fruit Bread

November 23, 2015     Sunrise 9:53 am  Sunset 3:21 pm   Temp. H 20/ L 18°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.