Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Failed Quiche


This goes under the "What the hell was I thinking" column of my cooking experience.  I have a lot of those, usually I just keep them to myself, but what the hell, might as well share the joy.

We went to brunch for Easter.  Our family came, our oldest son, mother-in-law, brother-in-law, one of our nieces and her husband. And, other than the waiter giving me a funny look when I said "Yes, I do want a mimosa, but without the orange juice," it was a nice brunch.  We went home and played cards then watched some basketball.

I thought I would make a light dinner of quiche and salad.  I like to make it ahead of time, cool it, cut it and then warm in the microwave.  The pieces come out so much nicer that way.  I wrap the extra and leave them in the fridge for lunch the next day or two.

Well, I started with blind baking the crust.  I rolled it out and got it in the pan.  Then I folded the edge down half way....what was I thinking?  I blind baked the crust (so it doesn't get soggy), cooled it, put the add-in in and poured in the custard.  At least the custard that would fit, about 1/4 cup.  So I can't really call this quiche, but it was really good (what's not to love about bacon, cheese and pastry?) and now I have two cups of egg custard to do something with.  Any suggestions?

Quiche

1 pastry crust, I used a store bought one, I was lazy

custard
1 cup whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
8 eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

add-ins
I use 2 cups of add-ins.  This time I used:
1/2 cup bacon, chopped and fried crisp
1/2 cup spinach, frozen that was thawed and squeezed dry
1/2 cup mushrooms, sauteed
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese

preheat oven to 400° F.  Lay pastry in pie pan (DON'T fold over the edge).  Line with parchment paper and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake for 15-20 minutes until crust is set and slightly browned.  Let cool 20-30 minutes.  Remove pie weights and parchment paper.

Choose add-ins.  I try to keep it to a maximum of 4 things totaling no more than 2 cups.
fry bacon, saute mushrooms, thaw spinach and squeeze dry, grate cheese.
Spread evenly over cooled crust.

Mix milk, cream, eggs, salt and pepper.

Place filled crust on baking sheet and place in oven, pour custard in shell.  Bake 40-50 minutes until custard is set and lightly browned.  You may need to place foil or a pastry protector over the edge of the pastry if it is getting too dark.

Remove from oven and cool completely before cutting.  Cut into serving sized and reheat in the microwave.

April 3, 2013     Daylight 13 hours, 52 minutes, 46 seconds   Temp. H 30/ L 3°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.