Friday, April 19, 2013

Lemonade Cupcakes with Raspberry Buttercream




Our spring has pretty much sucked.  Yep, last Monday it never even warmed up to the expected low temperature.  I know Fairbanks isn't alone.  I see the news and the "lower than average temperatures" across the country.  I know why this is happening.  It is because my mom and dad are planning on coming to Fairbanks for the summer.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love my mom and dad, I love when they come up for the summer, and I would happily put up with cooler temperatures once in a while for them, but this will be the third summer trip in a row they bring cold summer temperatures.

Two summers ago, they came up for the summer, it was the 4th coldest summer on record.  Three years before that when they came for the summer, we had snow in June and August, and rain all of July.  If this pattern holds true through this summer, I'm going to have to work on a way to un-invite them, because I'm thoughtful and kind like that.

So, I'm working on positive, warm thoughts and what is better on a hot summer day than a glass of cold lemonade?  Maybe raspberry lemonade.  And since 7 above is too damn cold for lemonade, I'm making them into cupcakes.  I found this recipe on Pinterest.  It comes from Julie Van Rosendaal, find her post here.  I thought it would brighten my day, at least having the oven on did warm up the kitchen.

Lemonade Cupcakes with Raspberry Buttercream
adapted from Julie Van Rosendaal

adapted from a lemon cupcake recipe at AllRecipes
1 cup butter, at room temperature
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
grated zest and juice of a lemon
1 cup milk, divided
Preheat oven to 375 F and line 24 muffin tins with paper liners.
In a large bowl, beat the butter, sugar and lemon zest with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Beat in the vanilla.
In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to the butter mixture a third at a time, alternating with half the milk and half the lemon juice after each of the first 2 additions of flour. Beat until just combined.
Fill the prepared tins and bake for 20 minutes, until springy to the touch. Tip the cupcakes in their tins to help them cool. Let cool completely before frosting. If you like sprinkle with colored sugar. Makes 2 dozen.
Fresh Raspberry Frosting
1 cup fresh raspberries (or thawed from frozen)
1 cup butter, at room temperature
3 cups confectioners’ sugar
In the bowl of a food processor, puree the raspberries until smooth. If you like, press the mixture through a sieve to get rid of the seeds.
In a medium bowl, beat the butter and half the sugar until smooth. Add the raspberry puree, then more sugar until you have a fluffy, spreadable consistency. Add a splash of water, too (a tablespoon or two) if it needs it.
Notes:
The next time I make these I want a more lemony cake and a more raspberry frosting.  I'll add more lemon zest and lemon juice to the cake batter and I'm going to experiment with cooking down 3 cups of berries to make a more concentrated juice for the buttercream.
Even the dogs are cold.  Sleeping by the fire and cuddling in the afternoon.
April 19, 2013    Daylight 15 hours, 42 minutes, 23 seconds     Temp. H 32/ L 2 °F

2 comments:

  1. Oh My Lanta! I've made a few of your delicious recipes before, but I am dying to make this one!!! Off to the grocery store to pick up the ingredients... thanks for sharing!

    And I honestly hope that your parents pack a suitcase of sunshine for you... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Erin,
    Let me know how they turn out for you. I'm making them again this weekend using the notes from the bottom of the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.