Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Chocolate Zucchini Cake


Donna and I were having coffee on Saturday, as usual.  Somehow the topic of a t.v. in my bathroom came up.  Donna said I was the only person she knew who had a t.v. in their bathroom.  How could that be?  I didn't believe it so I took a poll of the tables around us.  It went something like this...

"Excuse me, do you have a t.v. in your bathroom?"  Donna is laughing and turning red, the tables around us are looking confused but all answer...the overwhelming  response, actually the only response was "No."

"Really, how do you watch the news in the morning?"  Donna is ready to climb under the table now.

Most people either had a t.v. in the next room (bedroom, living room, etc.) or they didn't watch the news in the morning.  Hmmmm....

But, apparently asking random strangers about t.v.s, bathrooms, and news programs causes discomfort to my coffee companion.  I'll have to do a better job keeping myself in check for a couple of weeks or she will start finding excuses not to meet me for coffee.

I went home and made this chocolate zucchini cake.  It is a recipe from my Grandma McFadden.  It is a moist, cocoa based cake that doesn't need frosting.  You top it with sugar, nuts and chocolate chips before you put it in the oven.  I love this cake.

Later that evening, I was cold, I ran a bath, cut a piece of cake and sat in the tub watching Food Network and enjoying my cake.  You can't do that if you don't have a t.v. in your bathroom.

Chocolate Zucchini Cake
from Grandma McFadden

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2 cups shredded zucchini

Preheat oven to 325˚F.  Butter and flour a 9X13 baking pan.

In a mixing bowl, combine butter, vegetable oil, and sugar.  Add eggs, one at a time.  Add vanilla and buttermilk.

In a small bowl whisk together, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.  Add to wet ingredients and mix until just combined.  Stir in shredded zucchini.

Pour into prepared pan.

Top batter with:
1/3 cup sugar
6 oz. chocolate chips
1/2 cup nuts (pecans or walnuts)

Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.


September 18, 2013  Daylight 12 hours, 41 minutes, 41 seconds   Temp: H 37/ L 27˚ with snow

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.