Monday, September 9, 2013

Stuffed Pork Loin

I'm telling old stories, so if you've heard this one, just skip to the recipe.

My mother in law is a lovely woman.  She comes to family dinner every week, and I really try to have something that will please her.  I love my husband, and one way I show it is to be very kind to his mother.

One family dinner, we had the whole crew, about 12 of us.  I made two, very large, beef roulades.  It was flank steak, pounded thin, filled with a savory filling, rolled and roasted.  When you cut it, you got this beautiful pinwheel of deliciousness.  We ate dinner, both roulades were eaten with the family and seconds, we visited, had dessert and then everyone started to go.  My dear mother in law was leaving and she said to me, "Well, Toni, it was a good try."

A good try....

Now, I'm sure it was because the meat would have been hard for her to chew, she is elderly and wears dentures, either that or she just didn't like it.  So I try not to make beef for her when she is here.

I made a stuffed pork loin for family dinner, it is easier to chew.  I filled it with a mushroom stuffing, tied it and roasted it.  My dear MIL at seconds.

I guess it was better than a good try.

Stuffed Pork Loin

3-4 lb. pork loin
1 lb. mushrooms (I get the boxes of sliced baby bellas)
1 onion
1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs, very finely chopped or ground
2 cloves garlic
salt
pepper
executive chef seasoning or your favorite steak seasoning

Cut pork loin: make a cut, horizontally, 1/3 down the roast until it almost cuts through, but don't cut through.  Flip it open so you have one thin end and one fat end.  Cut the fat end, horizontally, from the center out toward the edge, without cutting through, so that it is one open flat piece of meat.  You have just cut it in thirds, but kept it connected.  Pound until it is an even thickness.

Sprinkle meat with executive chef, or other seasoning, roll up and put in plastic.  Let it set at room temp. while you make the stuffing (but no more than 30 minutes or so).

Chop mushrooms fine, I do this in my food processor.  Chop onion and garlic with mushrooms.

Heat sauté pan, add some oil and sauté mushroom/onion mixture over medium heat until well cooked and somewhat dry, about 20 minutes.  Add seasoned bread crumbs.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Preheat oven to 425˚F.

Open pork roll flat.  Spread mushroom filling within 1/2 inch of edges.  Roll up, jelly roll style, starting on the long end.  Tie with kitchen twine, every 2-3 inches to keep roll intact and tight.  Place on roasting pan.  Roast for 20-30 minutes, until meat thermometer reads 145˚ in the center part of the meat.

Remove from heat and let rest for 5-10 minutes.  Remove string and slice.

September 9, 2013     Daylight:  13 hours, 41 minutes, 30 sec.    Temp. H 63/ L 43˚F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.