Monday, September 23, 2013

Jalapeño Jelly

Dave got home from moose camp and it went something like this:

D: Honey, I'm home.

Me: Oh good, I can hardly wait to get to bed.

D: O.K., but don't you want me to shower first?

Me: I don't really care.

D: Well, I don't want to climb into bed without a shower.

Me:  O.k. but I'm going now.

D:  Don't you want to wait for me?

Me: Not really, it's better if you aren't there.

D:  Um, what are you talking about?

Me:  Sleep, I'm so tired.  I haven't had a good night sleep since you left.  What were you talking about?

And so, I win "Wife of the Year" in 5 sentences.

I got a great night's sleep.  Dave was in the house so I slept deeply.  And he was sulking, reading a book on the couch, so I got the whole bed.  It was a win-win for me.
Jalapeño peppers from my friend Katie.

To spice things up for him, I made Jalapeño Jelly.  This is a pretty sweet version so I leave the seeds and veins of the jalapeño peppers intact.  You can seed and devein the peppers to cut down on the heat, and cut down on the sugar, just check your pectin requirements.  It is delicious over cream cheese with crackers, and Donna suggested it as a dip for Coconut Shrimp.  I'll try that later this week.

Jalapeño Jelly
Ball Canning

12 oz. Jalapeño peppers (about 12 medium)
2 cups cider vinegar
6 cups sugar
2 3-oz pouches liquid pectin
green food coloring (optional)

Prepare boiling water canner.  Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready to use.

Puree  peppers in food processor with 1 cup vinegar until smooth.  Do not strain puree.

Combine puree with remaining 1 cup cider vinegar and sugar.  Bring to boil over high heat.  Boil 10 minutes, stirring frequently.

Add liquid pectin and boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.

Remove from heat, add food color, if desired, skim foam.  Ladle hot jelly into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace.  Wipe rim, Center lid on jar and apply band until fingertip tight.

Process in hot water bath for 10 minutes, once water boils.  Remove jars and cool.  Check seals after 24 hours.  If any jars are not sealed store in refrigerator.

September 23, 2013    Daylight  12 hrs., 8 min. 33 sec.   Temp H 36/ L 21°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.