Friday, September 6, 2013

Raspberry Lemon Drop


It is September, hunting time here in Alaska.  My husband, his brother, and which ever boys are around go to moose camp for the month of September.  My brother comes up every couple of years to go hunt with them.  It is a family tradition, they really have a good time, and we get organic, grass (and twig) fed meat.  When our kids were younger, it was a good way to fill the freezer.  But, as the kids grew and left (and my husband and brother in law got older), moose camp has morphed into something a little more relaxed and vacation like.  I think there is a lot of beer and I know the food they take for those three weeks breaks my grocery budget for the month.  I'm not complaining, they have a great boy-bonding time, and I am left home alone.

Now, don't get me wrong (I know I've said this before) I love my husband, but I really love him in October, after he has been gone for a month.  I really need my alone time, cereal for dinner, read in my pajamas all day if I want to time.  And September gives that to me in a three week lump.  I look forward to Dave being in moose camp as much as he does (maybe more!).

This year Dave is only going in on the weekends.  He is saving his vacation time to go to Costa Rica with me in February.  I've been wanting to go for years, and have planned the trip a couple of times now, just to have Dave have a reason he can't go.  This year, I told him I was going and he was welcome to come with me, but I was going - with or without him.

He decided to go...at the expense of moose camp.  He is going in for the weekends, but my month of solitude is nonexistent this year.  I am trying to be cheerful about it, trying to stay kind, but it really is hard.  So, I just have to drink more.

Drink of the week is a raspberry lemon drop.  Fresh raspberries and real lemon juice make this special, don't use that bottled stuff.  I mix one of these as soon as I get home and start the second one when Dave gets home.  I know I can't do this every night in September (usually drink of the week is one drink a week) but I am going to do it as often as I need to so I don't get grumpy and Dave decides never to go on a vacation with me again.  Moose camp usually takes all his vacation time and I really am thankful for his sacrifice so I get some sun this winter, I don't want him to regret his decision by coming home to a grumpy wife.

Raspberry Lemon Drop
2 oz. good vodka
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
6 raspberries
2 tsp. sugar
splash of 7-up or Sprite

Muddle lemon juice, raspberries and sugar together in a shaker, add vodka and ice.  Shake until very cold.  Strain into a glass and top with a splash of 7-up.  Enjoy visiting with your husband.

September 6, 2013    Daylight  14 hrs. 1 min. 32 sec.   Temp.  H 57/ L 43°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.