Friday, January 3, 2014

Tattoos and Crock Pot Chocolate Nuts


So, with the Baby boy and his chick home for the holidays, we have been re-living a lot of family stories.  This must be "pick on the Bboy week" since he did eat the bath ball from his stocking.  So we were telling stories about him.

One of the stories is about when he was a senior in high school.  He gave me a call one day before Christmas and asked if he could come see me at work.  I told him yes, expecting him to ask for money for presents.

I was a principal at the time and he showed up at my school.  He came into my office and was obviously nervous about something.  So, thinking he was going to ask for money, I said, "Just spit it out Mason, what is up?"

And then he shut my door.

I never shut my office door.  I worked with lots of kids, and the door always stayed open, I even had a basket of rocks in front of it to keep it open.  But he moved the basket and shut the door.  I knew it was serious.

The thing that flashed through my head was: "Oh my, he got his girlfriend pregnant.  Don't be upset, what is done is done, we have to come up with a plan now, why did I spend all that time talking about birth-control and abstinence, don't be mad, you can't change anything and he needs to be able to work with you and not get defensive."  I tried to keep my face as neutral as possible and said, in my calmest voice, "So, what is going on?"

"Mom," he starts, "Don't be mad......(big breath)..... I got a tattoo."

"A tattoo?  Is that all?"

"You aren't mad?" he asks.

"NO.  Oh thank God, no one is pregnant."

He starts to laugh, and I do too because I am so relieved that no one is pregnant!

So, the tattoo takes up the whole left side of his chest.  It is the outline of Alaska with the words "Go Big" in the middle.  I don't care.  It is covered by his shirt for a job interview, it is not profane or have naked girls on it, AND no one is pregnant.  A total win as far as I am concerned.

"Mom," he askes, "Will you help me tell my dad?"

"Nope, you are old enough to get a tattoo on your own, you are old enough to tell your dad on your own." (He waited for his big brother to get home from college and had him around when he told his dad!)

So these crock pot chocolate nuts are delicious.  They make a big batch (Go Big) if you need to take them someplace or make goodie bags for something.  They really don't take any work for something so good.  I got this from my friend Michelle's Facebook post and adapted it for what I had at home.

Crock Pot Chocolate Nuts
adapted from Just a pinch and thanks to Michelle for posting on Facebook

16 oz. unsalted mixed nuts
16 oz. salted mixed nuts
1 12oz. bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 12oz. bag milk chocolate chips
1 10oz. bags peanut butter chips
2 16 oz. bags vanilla candy coating

Layer all ingredients into large crock pot, starting with nuts.  Turn on low and cover.  Stir after 11/2 hours.  When completely melted, about 2 hours, mix well and spoon mixture onto parchment covered cookie sheets.  Let cool completely, at least 1 hour.
I made 96 candies with this amount.

1 year ago:   Dog Sledding
2 years ago:  Birthday Resolutions and Carrot Martinis

January 3, 2014   Daylight 4 hrs, 9 min, 10 sec.   Temp: H /L °F

2 comments:

  1. Ok I'm quite literally drooling looking at these chocolate nuts! But what is vanilla candy coating? That has me stumped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used Ghirardelli white chocolate melting wafers. I bought them at our Sam's Club. Also saw them at our Krogers. Enjoy!

      Delete

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.