Friday, May 30, 2014

Grilled Corn Salad and the Eating of the Flowers



It is planting season in Fairbanks.  I am busy getting all my plants outside, hardened off, and planted.  I love this time of year.

I have 4 pots I plant for the backyard deck.  I put some lovely flowers in the pots, and left them lined up for my husband to move to their corners for me.  Big mistake.  It was the perfect line for one of the dogs to eat the flowers, just grazing walking down the line.
Tucker checking out the flower boxes to see if there is anything to eat!

I thought it was Lily who ate all the flowers, but when my husband discovered this

he did the back teeth check (I never would have done that.  I would just yell at all of them).  Lobo, the oldest, best behaved (and Dave's favorite) had yellow petals stuck to the back of his teeth, Lily did not.  So who is the good dog now? (Lily!)

Well, warmer temps also mean more grilling (yea!  Go Dave) and meals outside.  I love it.  This salad is terrific for a quiet dinner on the deck or is so easy to double (or triple) for a potluck barbecue!  Dinner on the deck happens quite often now, we have to keep an eye on those flower eating dogs.

Roasted Corn Salad

4-5 ears of corn
1/2 pint cherry tomatoes
1 (15 oz.) can pinto or black beans, rinsed and drained
1 avocado
1/4 cup cilantro
3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
3 Tbsp. olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat grill to medium high heat.

Grill corn until cooked and slightly charred.  Remove from grill and cool until easy to handle.

While corn is cooling, rinse and drain beans, add to small saucepan.  Warm beans with lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper, do not bring to a boil.  Cut corn from cobs, chop cilantro, cut tomatoes in half, dice avocado and add to a large bowl.  Pour bean mixture over corn and mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm or room temperature.

1 year ago:   Um, I'm out of posts for May...and last year's June doesn't look too promising!
2 years ago:  Individual Pineapple Upside Down Cakes

May 30, 2014   Daylight  rises: 3:38 am  sets: 12:03 am (tomorrow)  Temp H 73/ L 52°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.