Friday, July 29, 2016

Blueberry Picking and the Blueberry Disaster


We went camping over the weekend with my parents.  We drove out the Steese Highway to a favorite spot, we played cards, went for walks, took naps, fished, and on Sunday we picked blueberries.  They seem to be out early this year, and they are plentiful!  I picked for just about an hour and got about 8 cups of blueberries.  That seemed like about enough for the day, and my back was getting stiff.  I carefully packaged the blueberries in a couple plastic containers and put them in the refrigerator of Bessie.  I figured I'd clean and freeze them once I got home.

We headed home a little later than usual on Sunday afternoon so we decided to stop at Chatanika Lodge for dinner.  Dave was looking forward to the Sunday special of fried chicken and I love their burgers and fries.  I can eat half a burger and half the fries, so I have lunch for the next day.  I headed out to Bessie with my doggie bag and opened the fridge to tuck away my treasure.  When I pulled the door of the fridge open, one of the containers full of blueberries flipped out of the fridge and on to the floor.  The top came off and the blueberries went everywhere!  I screamed a bad word (rhymes with truck) and then realized the motorhome windows were open and my mom was just outside..."truck!"

I got the blueberries picked up, most of the purple stains off the floor, and apologized to my mom.  I thought I would make it up to her by baking this coffee cake.  I knew she was going to stop by in the morning to do some laundry (they live in their motor home during the summer when they are in Alaska), and this nice treat was warm and waiting for them.

Next time I go to pick blueberries, I'm putting them in a ziplock bag.

Blueberry Coffee Cake
Bun on the Run Cookbook

Preheat oven  to 350˚F.  Spray a 9X13" pan generously with cooking spray.

Cream well:
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup sugar

Add and Mix well:
2 eggs
1 3/4 cup buttermild
2 tsp. vanilla

Combine in separate bowl and Mix in until just blended:
2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. saltF

Spread into prepared pan.

Top with:
2 cups blueberries

Sprinkle streusel (recipe follows) over top, squeezing lightly to form uneven clumps.  Bake until browned and toothpick comes out clean.  Test in several places, as the fruit can be deceiving.

Streusel Topping
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup flour
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt

Mix together until texture is like damp sand.

Add:
1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
Bake for 55-60 minutes


1 year ago:    Camping with Bessie
2 years ago:  Chicken Salad and a Cool, Rainy Day
3 years ago:  Berries with Buttermilk Pastry Cream and the Death of My Stove
4 years ago:  Tiramisu Brownies and Getting Left at the Gas Station

July 29, 2017   Sunrise 4:43 am  Sunset 11:09 pm  Temp H 59/ L 54°


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.