Thursday, July 21, 2016

Grapenut Bread


The last couple of summers, while my dad is here, he mentions some bread I used to make that he loved; Grapenut bread.  He talks about the crunchy crust and the flavor that he loved...he is hinting, I know.  The problem is, I never was the one who made that bread.  It was my mom.  I was hoping she would take the hint and make the bread, but she hasn't.  My dad brought it up again just the other night and I (again) mentioned that it wasn't me.  My mom got on the Google and looked up a recipe, and gave it to me.  Now, what is a girl supposed to do but make that damn bread for her dad.

And that is what I did.

I had to make it twice.  I didn't like the way the first batch turned out.  I had to make a couple of adjustments, add some vital gluten, and reduce the cooking time.  I think it turned out pretty good the second time around.

Now, when my dad is up for the summer again this year, I can make his bread.  Of course he will probably remember that my sister made it...

Grape-nut Bread
adapted from Kathie Carr on Just a pinch

2/3 cup grape-nuts cereal
1/3 cup oat bran
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
2 Tbsp. molasses
1 1/3 cup boiling water
1 Tbsp. active dry yeast
1 tsp. sugar
2/3 cup lukewarm water
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. vital gluten
2-3 cups all-purpose flour

In a large mixing bowl, combine the Grape-Nuts cereal, oat bran, brown sugar, molasses, and boiling water.  Stir until completely mixed.  Set aside to cool.

Once cool, mix 2/3 cup lukewarm water, yeast, and sugar together.  Let sit for 5 minutes to proof.  Stir cooled grape-nuts mixture and then mix in the yeast mixture.  Using a stand mixer, or by hand, stir in whole wheat flour, salt, gluten, and 2 cups of the all-purpose flour.  Continue to add the last cup of all-purpose flour until a soft but firm dough is formed, using as little of the last cup of flour as possible.

Turn onto a table and knead, adding as little flour as possible, until dough is smooth and elastic.  Put dough in a greased bowl, cover, and set in a warm place until double in size, about 1 hour.

Punch down the dough, turn it out of the bowl, and knead about 3 minutes.  Shape it into a ball again.  Cut the ball into 2 equal pieces.  Shape each piece into a loaf shape and place in two greased loaf pans.  Or shape into oval and place on cookie sheet.  Let rise again until doubled, about 45 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400°F about 15 minutes before baking.  Set a pan in the bottom of the oven or on the bottom shelf.  Put 1 cup of water in the pan to provide steam to help the crust bake properly.

Bake until the loaves are dark brown and sound hollow when tapped from the bottom, about 40-50 minutes.

Cool completely on a wire rack.  Slice and serve to a very happy dad.

1 year ago:    Surfing Lessons and Coconut Mojitos
2 years ago:  The Curly Haired Boy's Wedding
3 years ago:  Adult Root Beer Floats
4 years ago:  The Dogs Eating the Strawberries and Strawberry Pie

July 21, 2016   Sunrise 4:15 am  Sunset 11:37 pm  Temp H 56/ L 51˚F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.