Tuesday, October 4, 2016

End of the Season Yard Cleanup and Quick Jambalaya

Ahh, October.  I love Fall.  The mornings are crisp, the afternoons are perfect for working in the yard and then having a fire after dinner.  And this fall, so far, has been beautiful.

Dave was busy doing yard work over the weekend, and I got out our Halloween decorations.  The Chick and I worked on the inside.

The baby boy helped with the outside.

We had a busy day, so I needed something quick to throw together for dinner, before the evening fire and s'mores.  This was perfect.  

I do need to ALWAYS wear my reading glasses now when I cook. I followed the recipe, we sat down to eat and this was pretty spicy! I don't really like spicy food but the rest of the family liked it.  The next day I sat down to copy the recipe and read 2 teaspoons of cajun spice...I added 2 TABLESPOONS!  Ah, live and learn.


Quick Jambalaya
adapted from Cooking Light, October 2016

1 Tbsp. canola oil
1 onion
3 oz. andouille sausage, finely chopped
8 oz. moose sausage (I had some left over from making meatballs, so I just used it up)
12 oz. skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
2 (10 oz.) cans unsalted diced tomatoes and green chilies
2 tsp. salt-free Cajun seasoning, or more to taste
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
2 (8.8 oz. pouches precooked rice (I used one white and one brown)
4 green onions, chopped
1 lemon cut into wedges
Hot sauce, optional

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add onion and sausage; cook 4 minutes or until onions are tender, stirring occasionally.  Add chicken; cook 4 minutes or until chicken is lightly browned, stirring occasionally.

Strain tomatoes in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1/4 cup liquid.  Add strained tomato mixture, 1/4 cup reserved tomato liquid, Cajun seasoning, and salt to pan, scraping pan with a wooden spoon to loosen browned bits.  Cover and reduce heat to medium, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Meanwhile, warm rice in microwave and spread on platter.  Remove jambalaya from heat, pour over rice.  Top with chopped green onions.  Serve with lemon wedges and hot sauce.  

3 years ago:  Cranberry Shortbread

October 4, 2016   Sunrise 8:12 am  Sunset 7:05 pm  Temp. H 39/ L 28 °F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.