Thursday, April 26, 2018

Strawberry Galette


I'm loving the longer evenings.  O.K. they are not really longer, but the sun is up longer and it feels like we have more time to do things.  And I'm loving the sun through my kitchen window when we eat dinner.

One of our habits is to finish dinner and then play a game of cribbage.  We usually take turns winning.  Dave often helps me catch a couple points I missed, and once in a great while, I'll help him.  The game is all in fun, even though we keep track of who won the last game.

The new deck started out good, but I still lost this game.




Well, for a while I have been losing, and big time.  Dave was 12 games ahead of me.  12!  After that 12 game I threw the cards away.  We needed a new deck.  I don't know that it did much good though because I lost with the new set of cards too.  Tonight when we play, I'm sitting in a different spot at the table.

I have to console myself for losing so much, so I made a pie.  A strawberry pie.  I haven't been eating a lot of fruit (because carbs), but this is manageable if I plan my day, and so delicious.  After I had it for dessert, and fed it to my family, I had it for breakfast for the next couple of days.  I figure if I'm going big with carbs, better to do it early and work around that for the rest of the day.
It is a sweet and delicious way to get the day going.

Strawberry Galette
adapted from Gnom-gnom blog

For Pie Crust:
1 cup almond flour
5 Tbsp. coconut flour
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp. confectioners swerve, or sweetener of choice
1/2 tsp. orange zest
3.5 oz. butter, cold
1/4 cup cream cheese, cold
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tsp. apple cider vinegar

sweetened whipped cream for topping, if desired

In a food processor, pulse the almond flour, coconut flour, xanthan gum, salt, sweetener and zest together.  Add butter and cream cheese and pulse for just a few seconds until crumbly.  Add in egg and vinegar and pulse until the dough just begins to come together, but stop before it forms into a ball.  Do not over process the dough.

Turn out the dough onto cling wrap and form into a round.  Refrigerate for at least one hour, or up to 3 days.


For Filling:
2 cups strawberries, rinsed, dried and sliced
4 Tbsp. cream cheese, softened
2 Tbsp.  confectioners swerve, or sweetener of choice, divided
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

In a small bowl mix sliced strawberries with 1 Tbsp. sweetener.

In a second small bowl, mix cream cheese, 1 Tbsp. sweetener and vanilla extract.

For assembly:
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Line large cookie sheet with parchment.
Roll the dough between parchment paper or wax paper, move to prepared pan.  Spread cream cheese mixture on pie crust within about 1 inch of edges.  Top with sliced berries, leaving about 2-3 inches around edge.  Fold edge of pie crust over the berries, pushing the crust together where it pleats and put back into the fridge for 10-15 minutes prior to baking, it will keep it shape better.
Bake for 15-25 minutes, until crust is golden and set.

8 servings: 292 cal., 27g fat, 13g total carbs, 6g fiber,  2g sugar alcohol, 5g net carbs., 7g protein

4 years ago:  Cheater Lemon Cream Bars and Removing My Own Stitches
5 years ago:  Oven Baked Onion Rings
6 years ago:  S'Mores, S'more ways and My Husband's Obsession

April 26, 2018  Sunrise 5:35 am  Sunset 10:04 pm  Temp H 45/ L 25°F



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.