Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Coffee Custard


I was at the end of a long week on the road. It was Friday and I was headed to the airport to fly to Seattle and spend the weekend with Gman and his people.  I left the job fair, opened the trunk of the rental, put the squishy ball I got for Gman into my suitcase and slammed the trunk shut.  With the keys in the trunk. And the doors to the car locked.

I knew the second I let go of the trunk as I was slamming it shut.  I was so upset.  I knew I was going to miss my airplane and then I wouldn't have my time with Gman if I had to reschedule my flight.  I only had a day and a half with him as it was.  I called the car rental office and told them what I did.  They called AAA and had someone come and unlock my car for me.  (It was a little scary how fast it can be done!).  I was on my way and made my flight with time to spare.

So, I chalk it up to one more travel experience I had, and don't have to have again.  And, I didn't cry so I deserve a treat.

I love pudding and custard.  This is an easy dessert when you don't want to bother with much.  You stir everything together, pour into cups or small ramekins and cook them in your crock-pot.  If you like your custard warm, you can put it in right before dinner and this will be ready once the dinner dishes are done.  If you like your custard cold, make them the night before, cover, and refrigerate.  Flavors are easy, once you get the ratio down.  Just remember you want 1 1/4 cup coconut milk, one egg, and two egg yolks.  Then, by adding flavorings, chocolate chips, or coconut flakes you have lots of options.  I love this for breakfast too, so by adding coffee I'm getting my eggs and coffee in one bite!
I like to top mine with a little heavy cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

Coffee Custard
1 1/4 cup coconut milk
1 egg
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup sweetener ( I use Swerve)
1 tsp. espresso powder*
1/2 tsp vanilla
pinch salt

Mix all ingredients together, pour into 4 small coffee cups or ramekins, place in slow cooker.  Add hot water to slow cooker about 1/2 way up cups.  Place a towel over the top and  cover with lid, the towel helps to prevent water dropping off the lid into the custard cups.  Cook on low for 2 hours or until knife inserted in custard comes out clean.  Remove custard from slow cooker, remove any water that has accumulated on top of custard cups.

*in place of espresso powder add 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa, or 1/4 cup flaked unsweetened coconut and 1/2 tsp. coconut extract, or chocolate chips, or 1/2 tsp. cinnamon and 1/2 tsp. maple extract...

4 years ago: Feeling Sorry for Myself and Dried Cherry Muffins
5 years ago: Stacking Wood and Pork Chili
6 years ago: Pumpkin Monkey Bread and the Computer Crash

October 30, 2018  Sunrise 9:32 am  Sunset 5:35 pm  Temp. H 22/ L 10°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.