Friday, October 12, 2018

Creamy Mushroom Soup and Going to Work in the Dark

 It is a sad time of the year.  That time when we are losing about 7 minutes of daylight a day and that awful realization that soon you will have to drive to work in the dark.
From the parking lot at work Wednesday 

This week, there is a little light because it is just dawn as I park my car, but I'm out of town for a week for work next week and when I come back it will be dark in the mornings.  Now I know that Daylight Savings ends soon, but really, when you are losing 7 minutes a day you are losing about 45 minutes a week so that little spot of light is just a mean tease.

And with the darker weather, you know the cold is here to stay.  No snow so far, but again I'm expecting it to be white when I get back next week from work.

So with the cold, comes the need for warm, delicious things from my kitchen.  I love soup, and as I've said before, Dave does not think soup is dinner.  So, sometimes I make soup as a starter for dinner, or I make a big batch and that is my lunch for the week.  This is so good that I make a double batch so we can have it for both.


Creamy Mushroom Soup

1/4 cup butter
1 Tbsp. dried sage
1 tsp. smoked paprika, plus more for garnish if desired
1 lb. mushrooms
4 cups chicken stock
salt and pepper
1/2 cup heavy cream, plus more for garnish if desired

In a heavy bottomed stock pot over medium heat, melt butter and cook until golden and smells nutty, add dried sage and paprika, cook 30 seconds.  Add mushrooms and cook for 5-7 minutes until mushrooms start to soften, add stock.  Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and simmer for 10 minutes.
Remove from heat.  Using an emersion blender, blend until soup is smooth or carefully transfer to blender and process until smooth then return to pan.
Add cream, mix well and reheat if necessary.  Divide between bowls and top with a swirl of cream (put some on your spoon and swirl on top of soup) and a dash of paprika.  Enjoy
Makes 4 servings

2 years ago:  Seeded Whole Grain Quick Bread
3 years ago:  Sudafed and Green Pea Soup
5 years ago:  Mac and Cheese with Bacon and Weird Dreams

October 12, 2018   Sunrise 8:34 am  Sunset 6:38 pm   Temp. H 49/ L 34°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.