Monday, December 31, 2012

Cranberry Orange Cheesecake Pears

I can't believe this week has flown by.  I didn't mean to take the week off, but the curly haired boy and his chick were here, we had Christmas Eve open house and Christmas at our place, went to the hot springs, and took the chick dog sledding (pictures of the hot springs and dog sledding to follow this week).

The curly haired boy  photo bombing the pear!
Saturday was a busy day with dog sledding.  We came home tired and hungry.  I made this pulled pork for sandwiches, we played some cards and had these poached pears for dessert.  This is going to be a new favorite dessert (I know, and no chocolate, what is with that?)

The funny thing about the pears is that I received a box of pears from Harry and David, with a notice of the fruit of the month club.  The problem was there was no name attached to the from part of the box.
So either someone is going to be upset that I never sent them a thank you card, or I accidentally ordered them myself when I ordered the Christmas gift for my grandma!  I'll have to check my credit card to find out.
In the mean time, we have this lovely box of pears we are enjoying.  These poached pears are delicious, a light dessert for a cold evening.  I just noticed the date on this recipe.  I can't believe I waited four years to try it.  Don't you wait that long.

Cranberry-Orange Cheesecake Pears
adapted from Clean Eating, Fall 2008

Poached Pears
4 pears, Bosc are good for this, I used Royal Riviera
2 cinnamon sticks
2 cups cranberry juice
2 cups orange juice
1 vanilla bean, split length-wise

Cheesecake Stuffing
8 oz. light cream cheese, room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. dired ground ginger
1/2 cup dried unsweetened cranberries or cherries
1/2 cup unsalted, sliced almonds, toasted

Instructions 

Peel and half pears.  Using a small spoon or a melon baller, scoop out and discard cores.  Place pears in a large, heavy bottomed saucepan.  Add cinnamon sticks and juices.  Scrape out seeds from vanilla bean and stir in, add scraped bean to pan.

Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer, turing pears occasionally.  Poach for 20-25 minutes or until pears are tender.  Remove pears from pan and set aside to cool.  Boil juice until reduced to about 1/2 cup, stirring often.  Remove vanilla bean and cinnamon sticks.

In a bowl, stir cream cheese with vanilla extract and ginger until smooth, fold in cherries and nuts.

To serve, evenly divide cream cheese mixture between pear halves.  Spoon reduced juice syrup over pears and cream cheese, serve.

Makes 8 servings
This is the curly haired boy and his chick the first night they came home.
December 31, 2012   Daylight 3 hours, 59 minutes, 12 seconds    Temp. H 13/L 8 °F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.