Friday, December 21, 2012

Greek Yogurt Labneh

With the Curly Haired boy and his Chick coming, I'm taking some time off work.  I'll be home to enjoy the full visit.  That also means I am free to schedule and plan their every waking moment.  Dave is so relieved that he has to go to work, I think I'm driving him a little crazy!

Well, I do have all our breakfasts planned, most of the lunches and dinners too.  I'm not going for my regular protein shake breakfast or plain chicken breast lunch.  I plan on adding about 10 lbs. to my short frame in the next two weeks (well, maybe only 5).  The other thing I'm planning is our afternoon snacks.  I usually eat some veggies and hummus around 4:00 but I'm going to shake it up a bit for the kids.

This is yogurt cheese marinated in herbs, lemon zest and olive oil.  It has protein, lots of flavor and it is easy to make and keep in the fridge.  Don't use fat free Greek yogurt for this recipe, use full fat or 2%(which is what I used).  I made it, tested it (YUM) and it is in the fridge now, waiting for our first afternoon snack with the Curly haired boy and his Chick.
Greek Yogurt Labneh
Bon Appetit Dec. 2012

Ingredients
  • 2 cups plain 2% fat or whole Fage Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 cup (or more) good-quality extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons finely minced fresh herbs (such as tarragon, parsley, and chives)
  • 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Special Equipment
  • Cheesecloth
Preparation
  • Line a large sieve with cheese-cloth; set over a medium deep bowl. Place yogurt in sieve. Gather edges of cheesecloth to cover yogurt. Place in refrigerator and let drain for 2-3 days.
  • Gently squeeze out any excess liquid; discard liquid in bowl (yogurt will be very thick and resemble soft goat cheese). Roll yogurt into 3/4 inches balls. Place in an 8-ounces glass jar.
  • Whisk oil, herbs, and lemon zest in a small bowl to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over yogurt in jar. Cover; place in refrigerator and let marinate for at least 8 hours and up to 2 weeks.
    Taste testing is hard work.
     December 21, 2012  Daylight 3 hours, 41 minutes, 29 seconds Temp. H -26/L -44 F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.