Friday, May 3, 2013

Cherry Tart and a Weight Loss Challenge


Hey, did you miss me?  I was gone on a trip for work.  I had planned all these posts and thought I would have them ready and scheduled and they would just pop up, but I am really not that organized so I just went without posting for a week.  I know, you missed me, you didn't know what to do with yourself, and I promise never to do that again, until the next time.

I signed up for a "get fit, weight loss challenge" where I go work-out in the morning.  And because I am so committed, I immediately began to crave, bake, and eat the most fattening food I could get my hands on.  Really.

Now, I don't know why I am sabotaging myself, but boy, does it taste good!  I got on the scale and realized I really needed to get serious, I only have 3 weeks left of the challenge.  So, I made a cherry tart.  Now, come on, it is made with fruit and eggs for protein...ya, I suck at this weight loss challenge thing.  But this tart is delicious.

I used frozen cherries, you could use fresh but the fresh cherries we get are about $8 a pound right now and once we do get reasonably priced fresh cherries I just eat them fresh, they are so good.  Frozen works just fine.

Cherry Tart
adapted from La Tartine Gourmand

1 pastry crust, blind baked and slightly cooled
24 oz. frozen cherries, thawed, drained, and cut in half
2 eggs
1 tsp. lemon thyme, finely chopped
zest of one lemon
1/4 cup granulated sugar

Preheat oven to 400º F.  Place crust in fluted tart pan, line with parchment and fill with pie weights or beans.  Bake 15 minutes, remove beans and parchment, cook for 5 minutes longer.
Set oven to 350º F.
Cut cherries in half.  Place cherries in baked crust.
Mix eggs, lemon thyme, zest and sugar together, pour over cherries.  Bake 35-40 minutes or until center of tart is set.
May 3, 2013     Daylight 17 hours, 19 minutes, 53 seconds   Temp.  H 37/ L 25ºF

AND IT IS STILL SNOWING...not that I'm complaining or anything

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.