Friday, September 27, 2013

Green Bean, Blue Cheese and Bacon Salad



We were sitting down to dinner.  Dave was home and texting his brother who was alone in moose camp.  I jumped up and got my phone and set it on the table.  Now, first of all, we have a "no phones at the table" rule.  So for me to bring my phone to the table is unheard of.

"What did you do that for?" Dave asked.
"I think one of the boys is going to call me."  I answered.

We started dinner, and not three bites into it, my phone rang.  It was the baby boy!  I was right!  
"What's up?  Why did you call?"  I innocently asked.
Dave suddenly looked guilty.
"Um, just thinking of you Mommylou."
"Did Dave text you to call me?"I asked.
"Maybe something like that." he said.

So, because I jumped up for my phone, Dave texted the baby boy and told him to call.  I thought Dave was still texting his brother.  We all had a good laugh, a nice conversation, and went back to dinner.



That night about bedtime, the curly haired boy called me.  "Did Dave tell you to call?"  I accused him.
"No, I was just thinking about you and called." he replied. (He is very good about calling).

So I got to talk to two of my boys today.

It was a good day.



Green Bean, Blue Cheese and Bacon Salad
adapted from Fine Cooking, Oct/Nov 13

1/2 lb. haricot verts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
3 slices bacon
1 Tbsp. Champagne vinegar
1/4 tsp. Dijon mustard
freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
1 1/4 oz. crumbled blue cheese
6 large bib lettuce leaves

Bring a 4 quart pot of salted water to a boil.  Boil the haricot verts until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes.  Drain in a colander and cool under cold running water; pat dry.

Fry bacon until crisp.  Crumble and drain on paper towel.

Whisk the vinegar, mustard, and pinch each of slat and pepper in a large bowl.  Whisk un the oil until emulsified.  Add the haricot verts, walnuts, and blue cheese, toss gently to combine.

Arrange the lettuce leaves on a serving platter or individual salad plates and lightly season each with salt and pepper.  Divide the salad among the lettuce leaves, top with crumbled bacon and serve.


September 27, 2013   Daylight 11 hrs. 42 min. 3 sec.   Temp. H 37/ L 28°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.