Friday, October 25, 2013

Pork Chili

We have been having the most fantastic fall I can ever remember. It is relatively warm and mostly sunny during of the day. We might even make it to Halloween without snow!  I have never experienced a Halloween in Alaska without snow, but this could be the first.

Dave has been finishing up his fall outdoor chores (think wood here) and had 4 cords delivered this week.  He cut, split and stacked the wood with the help of his brother.  While they are outside working, I am inside making dinner.

 I had planned on fish for dinner, but knew that wouldn't be filling enough for hungry, wood-stacking men.  So I improvised.  The result was pretty tasty, if I do say so myself.  I am ALWAYS a cook by the recipe kind of person, with the exception of a few family favorites.  So, to be faced with dinner and not a plan is way out of my comfort zone.  I ALWAYS plan, and if I don't have a plan, the plan is to go out to dinner (my back-up plan).  But here I stood, with pork and some inspiration (o.k. not a lot of inspiration, but it worked).

Dave and my BIL both deemed it very good (even after Dave filled his with pepper-jack cheese and corn chips).  I ate mine with a dollop of sour cream and later I thought avocado would have been good on it.  It was warm, filling and I'll make it again during the winter.

Pork Chili

2 Tbsp. oil
2 lbs. pork tenderloin, silver skin and fat removed and cut into 1" chunks
1 onion, medium dice
1 Tbsp. chili powder, more or less to taste
1 quart jar of homemade canned roasted tomatoes with garlic, you can use 28 oz. can tomatoes with garlic
1 cup chicken broth
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can corn, drained and rinsed

Heat oil in dutch oven or other heavy bottomed pan.  Brown meat on all sides (I do this in two batches so the meat browns instead of boiling in it's own juices).  Add onions, cook 5 minutes or until softened.  Add chili powder and cook 1 minute more, chili powder should be very fragrant.  Add tomatoes and chicken stock.  Cover and cook on low for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.  Add beans and corn, heat through.  Serve with sour cream, cheese, tortilla chips, or corn bread.

October 25, 2013   Daylight 8 hrs. 34 min. 56 sec.     Temp. H 36/ L 23°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.