Monday, March 10, 2014

Banh Mi

Week nights are a little hectic, we have more sun in the evening, outside chores are accumulating and work really gets in the way of all the things I want to do. (Don't even ask me if I've started the mosaic that is supposed to go outside this spring!)

I get home late from work, it is our busy season, and I'm tired.  Then to get dinner on the table...ugh.  My idea of dinner is 6:00 sharp, but we find ourselves eating around 7:00 or 7:30.  That is pretty late when my bedtime is 9:00.

I'm working on quick, delicious meals for the week.  I haven't resorted to once-a-month cooking like I used to do when the kids were younger and we were going in 7 different ways every night, but I'm getting there.

This dinner was quick, delicious, and a hit with everyone! I did plan ahead in that I made the rolls on Sunday for these.  Next time I'll double the meat and stick half in the freezer for another meal.  The meat would be a great addition to a Salad for Dinner night.

Pork Banh Mi Sandwiches
adapted from Weeknight Wonders, Ellie Krieger

1/4 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
3 Tbsp. honey
1 Tbsp. fish sauce
1 large carrot
5 oz. radishes, I used a big handful
2 cloves garlic
2 tsp. sriracha sauce
1 lb. pork tenderloin
1/2 English cucumber
fresh cilantro
potato sourdough rolls, or sandwich rolls of your choice
1/4 cup mayonnaise, the recipes calls for 2 Tbsp. greek yogurt mixed with 2 Tbsp. mayo, but I can't do yogurt for the Bboy and the chick.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the vinegar, 1 Tbsp. honey, and 2 tsp. of the fish sauce.  Grate the carrot and radish in a food processor or on a box grater.  Add to the bowl with the sauce and toss to combine.

Mince the garlic and add to another medium bowl.  Add the remaining 2 Tbsp. honey, remaining 1 tsp. fish sauce, and 1 tsp. of the sriracha sauce and stir to combine.  Slice the pork into  1/4 inch medallions.  Add the pork to the bowl with the garlic-honey sauce and toss to coat.

Spray a large nonstick skillet or grill pan with cooking spray and preheat over medium-high heat.  Add the pork and cook until browned and just cooked through, about 2 minutes per side

While the pork is cooking, use a vegetable peeler to cut the cucumber into thin ribbons.  Rinse the cilantro and pick leaves from the stalks.

Slice each roll length-wise, scoop out and discard the soft insides, and toast lightly.

In a small bowl, whisk together the mayo, yogurt (if using), and sriracha sauce.  Spread 1 Tbsp. on each bun.  Layer 1/4 of the carrot-radish slaw and the cucumber ribbons on each bun and top with 1/4 of the cooked pork.  Top with cilantro leaves.

Serves 4.

1 year ago:   Parmesan Tilapia
2 years ago:  Protein Balls and Fairbanks Fit Body Bootcamp

March 10, 2014   Daylight 11 hrs. 9 min. 35 secs.  Temp. H 12/ L 5°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.