Monday, November 17, 2014

Sourdough Potato Bread


I always like to practice a new recipe before I serve it for a special dinner.  The funny thing is that I practice on my family and then serve it to my family for what ever special event is planned.  They get to see progress!

I have this old sourdough book I pull out from time to time.  It belonged to my kid's great-grandma on their dad's side.  I'll pass it on to one of the boys, but in the mean time, I love to pull it out and try something new.  The copyright is 1967, I am enthralled with old cookbooks!

I made this bread for Family dinner on Sunday.  I am planning on using it for Thanksgiving, but really wanted to practice.  And, I'm glad I did.  First, it makes a lot of bread!  I made rolls, shaped bread loaves, and breakfast Biscoff buns all from this one batch of bread.  Second, I learned to shape my rolls better.  I tried to make them too small (see pictures), and while they were a delicious bite, I think they would be better if they were a couple of bites bigger.

So, I am ready with the bread recipe for Thanksgiving...the rest of the menu is up in the air!

For the rolls, I rolled out 1 lb. of dough to 9 X 16


Brushed with garlic butter

1 lb. of dough cut into 24 pieces - next time I'll cut into 12


Placed on a cookie sheet, brushed with garlic butter again and baked.
This is two pounds worth of bread dough.

A delicious two bite roll.

Same bread, baked in a fluted bread pan for snacks, very soft and delicious.

Bread dough, rolled out and topped with Biscoff butter.

Easy delicious breakfast sweet rolls.
Biscoff butter is so good!


Sourdough Potato Bread
adapted from Breads and Coffee Cakes by Ada Lou Roberts 1967

1 cup starter
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. ginger
2 cups cold water
2/3 cup instant mashed potato buds
1 cup warm water
1 cup dried milk powder
3 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 tsp. salt
4 cups flour

About 7:00 in the evening stir 1 cup starter and 1 1/2 cups flour together in mixing bowl (do not use metal or plastic) until a soft ball is formed.  Let stand uncovered for 2 hours.  Stir the 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 tsp. ginger into the 2 cups of cold water and pour over the ball of starter.  Sprinkle 2/3 cup instant potato buds over the top.  Cover tightly (cling wrap is good) and set in warm place (about 80°F) overnight.

In the morning the ball of starter will have become foamy and risen to the top of the water.  The potato buds will be well soaked.  Beat thoroughly.  Add 1 cup warm water, 1 cup dried milk and 3 cups flour with 1/2 teaspoon each of baking soda and cream of tartar.  Beat again.  Add 1/2 cup soft butter, 1 1.2 tsp. salt and 3 cups flour.  Stir until the dough clears the bowl.  Spread remaining 1 cup flour on the bread board.  Turn out the dough and knead thoroughly using only enough flour to make a smooth nonsticky dough  Cover with light cloth and let rest for about 20 minutes.  Divide and shape as desired.  Place in greased pans, brush tops with butter and cover and let set in warm place until light.  Bake in oven preheated to 350 °F for about 45 minutes for medium loaves.  If desired, for an extra rich crust, brush with cream or butter again about 5 minutes before the end of the baking period.  This recipe make 4 high, well-rounded medium loaves.

This dough is excellent for all kinds of plain rolls and buns such as Parkerhouse, crescent with seed topping, hamburger and hot dog, etc.  For dessert make a rich, delicious Coffee Round.

1 year ago:   Apple Butter and a Visit with a Stranger
2 years ago:  Ice Breaker and Bonding with a New Sewing Machine
3 years ago:  The New Wood Stove

November 17, 2014  Sunrise 9:34 am  Sunset 3:37 pm  Temp. H 25/ L 18°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.