Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Brown Butter Doughnuts with Brown Butter and Bourbon-Maple Glaze


I'm done with physical therapy.  I went to my last session and I'm now on my own.  I have a list of do's and don'ts but basically I can do what I want.

My physical therapist was a little sadistic, in my opinion.  She liked making me work hard but she did put up with my kind of crazy and my husband coming to every session so I couldn't get away with anything...like I was going to make stuff up about what exercises I could or couldn't do?  At least I have a witness to his kind of crazy now, everyone thinks he is the reasonable and balanced one.  HA!

I thought for all she did for us I would take her a little treat.  She works early and leaves in the early afternoon so I thought these doughnuts would be good.  I could bake them in the morning and drop them off on my way to work.  She would have been at work a couple of hours by then and a warm treat might be welcome.  I added the bourbon glaze because, well, she did have to put up with me for the last month.

Brown Butter Doughnuts
from Bobby Flay, Food Network
Batter:
1/2 cup butter, browned and divided
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
2/3 cup buttermilk
2 tsp. vanilla

Glaze:
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 Tbsp. bourbon
1 cup confectioners sugar
pecans, finely chopped

To made doughnuts
Preheat oven to 375°F
Spray a 12 cup doughnut pan with cooking spray, set aside.

Put the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.  Melt and brown the butter until a golden brown, swirling the pan occasionally.  Transfer the browned butter to a measuring cup.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder baking soda, nutmeg, and salt.  Whisk to combine and set aside.  In a small bowl whisk sugar and eggs together until well combined, add buttermilk and vanilla,  and 1/2 the browned butter (1/4 cup), mix.  Pour wet ingredients into the flour and mix until just combined, do not over mix.

Transfer batter to a pastry bag, or a large ziplock, and cut off the end.  Pipe batter into prepared doughnut pan.  Bake for 8-10 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean, tops will be lighter than the bottoms.  Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes and then turn doughnuts out on to rack to cool completely.

Meanwhile, put maple syrup and the rest of the browned butter in a small saucepan.  Bring to a simmer.  Add Bourbon and cook for 1 minute.  Remove from heat and add powdered sugar.  Let cool slightly.  Dip tops of cooled doughnuts into the glaze and then sprinkle with chopped pecans.
Enjoy.

1 year ago:   Chicken Piccata and Blood on the Kitchen Floor
2 years ago:  Skillet Peach Cobbler
3 years ago:  Black shoes and Blue Pant and A Chocolate Martini
4 years ago:  Cioppino and Carrying in Wood at -50




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.