Friday, February 5, 2016

Celery Salty Dog With or Without and the Repeating Conversation

The Baby Boy likes telling stories on me.  Right now his favorite story is how, during his Christmas break, while he had to drive me around to my appointments, I would ask him the same questions every day, not remembering we had the same conversation the day before.  He said it was like his very own Groundhog's Day.

The conversation (apparently) went something like this...
Me:  How did your classes go last Semester?
BB: Great!  I was really happy with my grades.  I even made the Dean's list.
Me:  That is so awesome!  Did that one professor that was giving everyone a hard time ding your grade?
BB:  No, I got an A in his class.
Me:  Really! I'm so proud of you and your hard work at school.  What does your next semester look like?

You get the idea.

I just tell him it is a preview of what life will be like with me when I'm old and living with him.
  The Baby Boy said I would ask the same questions in the same order day after day after day.  So, I decided after all the medication I've been on and the anesthesia from the surgery, I needed to give my body a bit of a break and a cleanse.  I'm off diet coke (my favorite) and I'm off alcohol ... mostly.  I get one adult beverage a week.

This drink of the week comes in handy.  You can have it with or without, so it works for me every evening, or a party where you have non-drinkers and drinkers together.  There is a little prep, only about 15 minutes plus cooling time, and it is so worth it.   


Celery Salty Dog
from Cooking Light, Feb. 2016

For Celery Syrup
3 cups celery, chopped
1 cup water
1/2 cup granulated sugar

Mix water and sugar in a small saucepan, add celery, bring to simmer and cook for 15 minutes.  Remove from heat and cool.  Strain solids from syrup.

To make each drink:
In a shaker filled with ice add:

3/4 cup pink grapefruit juice
3 Tbsp. Celery Syrup
1 tsp. bitters
Shake until very cold.  Pour over ice and garnish with celery leaves.

If you want it with...add 1 shot good vodka.

February 5, 2016   Sunrise 9:24 am  Sunset 4:46 pm  Temp. H 12/ L -6°F





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.