Thursday, September 29, 2016

Pumpkin Spice Cinnamon Rolls and Travel Plans


We have a travel guy at work. He makes our travel reservations and does an excellent job with schedules and saving us money. He mentioned that I needed to make my spring travel plans while Alaska Airlines was running some sales, and in the same breath he mentioned that I haven't baked in a while...
I'm thinking if I don't bake I'll end up with the middle seat for all my trips. So, I baked.

In honor of pumpkin spice everything this time of year, I made pumpkin spice cinnamon rolls. I used my oatmeal bread recipe that I usually use for cinnamon rolls, but added pumpkin, a little extra sugar and some pumpkins spice to it. Then I added pumpkin spice cream cheese on top.

I put them together the evening before, then slide them in the refrigerator overnight. In the morning I just need to take them out of the fridge when I start the oven and let them rise while the oven warms up, them bake them. Top them with the cream cheese frosting and let that melt into the rolls, and take them to work.

I did make them for the travel guy, and I don't think I'll be getting a middle seat anytime soon, but there were so many, I did eat one myself. Pure heaven.

Pumpkin Spice Cinnamon Rolls with Pumpkin Spice Cream Cheese Frosting

1 cup oatmeal
2 cups water
3 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup pure pumpkin puree
1 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 Tbsp. yeast
1/4 cup water
1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
4-8 cup flour

6 Tbsp. butter
1 cup brown sugar, more if needed
1/2 cup granulated sugar, more if needed
pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts

In medium saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil.  Add oatmeal and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.   Remove from head, add butter, salt, brown sugar, pumpkin  and pumpkin pie spice.  Let cool to warm.

Add yeast, 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar and water in a small measuring cup, let sit for 5-10 minutes to bloom.  Add to oatmeal mixture and stir.  Add 4 cups flour and mix thoroughly.  Continue to add flour and mix until a kneadable mixture forms.  Turn out onto well floured surface and knead, adding more flour as needed, until a smooth, elastic ball is formed.  (I do all this with my Kitchen aide)

Spray bowl with cooking spray and put dough into bowl, turning to grease the ball.  Cover and let rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size.

Spray sheet pan with cooking spray.
Preheat oven to 350°F, if baking on the same day.

Remove dough from bowl and pat and then roll into a rectangle.  Spread with butter, sprinkle with brown sugar, granulated sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and walnuts.  Roll, starting from the long end, into a spiral and cut in 1 inch increments.  Place in prepared pan and cover with cling wrap, sprayed with cooking spray (if putting into the fridge), or cover loosely with a clean towel.

Place in fridge overnight or let rise for 1 hour.  Bake 30-35 minutes until golden brown.  Cool and frost with cream cheese frosting, if desired.

If placing in fridge overnight, remove rolls from fridge and let set on counter for 30 minutes, while your oven heats up (I put mine on top of the stove where it is nice and warm).  Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown.  Top with cream cheese frosting.

Pumpkin Spice Cream Cheese frosting
1 pkg. (8 oz.) Cream cheese, room temperature
2 Tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
2-3 cups powdered sugar

With an electric hand mixer, or with your stand mixer, whisk softened cream cheese.  Add milk, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice and mix thoroughly, scraping sides as needed.  Add 1 cup powdered sugar and mix completely.  Add powdered sugar until desired consistency is achieved.  Top warm cinnamon rolls.

1 year ago:    Work Travel and the Perfect Dirty Martini
2 years ago:   Pasta with Two Peas and the Short Hunting Trip
3 years ago:   Green Bean, Blue Cheese, and Bacon Salad and the Surprise Calls
4 years ago:   Roasted Tomato Soup

September 29, 2016   Sunrise 7:57am  Sunset 7:24 pm  Temp. H 47/ L 32°F


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.