Tuesday, May 1, 2018

30 Days Dairy Free and the First Day Fail


I was traveling last week for work.  I went to Minnesota, worked some, went to the Mall of America and ate all the good food.  I ate more than I should have, and a few things not on my current Keto plan.  I decided when I get home I'll double down and get back on Keto and do a dairy free 30 days just for grins and giggles.

Well, I flew home and got in about 10:30 pm.  My husband was not home, he flew down to Spokane to help a buddy drive his new motorhome back to Alaska.  He left my car in long term parking so I found the car and drove home...no problems.  I got to the house and let the dogs out.  They were so excited to see me after being gone for a week (probably more that they were in their kennels longer since the dog sitter just came over, let them out, fed them, and put them back in the kennels - but I'm choosing to believe it was all me), so they had to play and run around for a while to get rid of their energy and excitement, then I kenneled them about 12:30.  Of course at 5:30 the next same morning, Hershey starts barking because it is time to get up and let them out again.  So, I got up.

Now, you are probably asking yourself why I am telling you all this.  Well, it is because I want to give myself the excuse of not enough sleep and not really being awake.  Everyone who knows me KNOWS that I need my sleep.  I'm in bed by 9:00 every night, and if I'm not, nobody really wants to be around me.  O.K. on with the story.

I had my coffee (black because I was going dairy free for 30 days), read my bible study for the morning, did my guided meditation and then started to make my breakfast.  There wasn't much in the fridge because I've been gone and Dave was gone, but I had eggs and olives.  That would do.  I cooked a couple eggs, added some olives to the plate, and while I was putting the olives away I saw the cheese.  Hmmmm, that would be good on my eggs, so I slapped a piece on my eggs to melt.  I sat down with my coffee and started to eat.  I had about 2 bites and then sipped my black coffee, I really like cream in my coffee, and though to myself, "I really like cream in my coffee, but I can do this for 30 days."  Then I started to take another bite of my cheesy eggs and realized what I had done.  Crap.  I am claiming sleep deprivation for that one.

Well, I did better the next morning.  I had time to plan and shop so breakfast was a Cabbage Rosti with bacon and mushrooms.  Now, Rosti is usually made with potatoes (but carbs) so this one is made with cabbage.  I'm not going to try to fool anyone, it tastes like cabbage, but I like cabbage and it was good.  I'll try it with shredded radish next time and see how that is.  So a day later than I planned, but I am working on 30 days of dairy free.

I am headed to Austin in a couple weeks for work, I wonder if I can stay dairy free for that trip?

Rosti with Bacon and Mushrooms
The 30 Day Ketogenic Cleanse, Maria Emmerich

2 slices bacon, diced
2 Tbsp. coconut oil
1 cup mushrooms, diced
1/2 cup chopped green onions, plus more for garnish if desired
1/4 tsp. minced garlic
1 cup shredded cabbage
1 large egg
1/2 tsp. fine sea salt
1/8 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
egg to add to the top, if desired

Place the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat and fry until cooked and crispy.  Remove a little for garnish.  add the coconut oil, mushrooms, green onions and garlic.  Sauté for 5 minutes or until the mushrooms are golden.

In a large bowl, mix the shredded cabbage, egg, salt and pepper.  Transfer to the skillet with the bacon mixture.  Spread out the cabbage mixture in the pan and press it down to form a large pancake.  Cook over medium heat until the bottom is crispy and golden brown, about 5 minutes.  Flip with a large spatula and cook for another 10 minutes, or until the cabbage softens.

Remove from the heat and serve.  Store extras in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.  To reheat, fry in a skillet with a tablespoon of coconut oil on both sides until crispy, about 3 minutes a side.  Garnish with green onions and reserved bacon and top with an egg, if desired.

2 years ago:  Chicken Marsala and Running out of Heat in the Camper
4 years ago:  Strawberry Mousse
6 years ago:  Hiving the Bees and Bee Cupcakes

May 1, 2018    Sunrise 5:16 am  Sunset 10:21 pm   Temp. H 43/ L 27˚F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.