Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Being Distracted


I know I am a very distracted person.  That leads to all kinds of problems for me and my lack of coordination because I'm not really paying attention to my surroundings.  It also leads to some embarrassing situations, like this one.

I was leaving work and thinking about all the things I had to get done before my next trip, things for work, things for home, groceries for Dave, all that kind of stuff.  I had started by car to warm up with my auto start but when I got to my car it wasn't running.  I figured I just was in my office finishing up longer than I thought and the auto start turned off.  Well, I opened the door and saw some papers and other things on the passenger seat where I was about to drop by purse and lunch bag before I unplugged my car.  My passenger seat doesn't have anything on it, my car is completely clean and only an extra reusable bag in the back in case I go to the grocery store on the way home.  I look at the rear view mirror where I have a little hanging decoration a friend made me a few years ago and it was gone.  I quickly realized I had opened the door to the wrong car.  Same make, model and color, but wrong car.  I laughed out loud, closed the door and turned to find my car.

Just then the auto start turned on.  I'm sure the owner of that car was looking out her window and watched me open the door.  How embarrassing.

So, I needed a sweet treat.  I had a couple pints of strawberries and have been wanting some jam so I decided to try my hand at it.  I read a couple recipes on Pinterest, lots of recipes use chia seeds but I don't eat those so I needed something else to thicken it a bit.  I tried xanthan gum and it worked great.  This is my new go-to jam!

Sugar Free Strawberry Jam

2  dry pints of strawberries, washed and chopped
1/4 cup Swerve, Boca Sweet or Monk Fruit
1/4 cup water
1/2-1 tsp. xanthan gum, depending on desired consistency

Place strawberries, sweetener and water in a medium saucepan.  Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer.  Let simmer 10-15 minutes stirring and crushing the fruit.  If desired use an immersion blender to make a smoother jam.  Remove from heat and whisk in 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum.  Let cool 15 minutes, stir to test consistency and add more xanthan gum if desired.  Pour into jars and refrigerate or freeze.  This made about 3 cups for me.




1 year ago:    Happy Anniversary!
7 years ago:   Changing the Clocks and Quinoa Blondies


March 18, 2020  Sunrise 7:55am  Sunset 8:03pm  Temp. H 33/ L 24˚F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.