Friday, May 15, 2015

Clams

With all the salad my husband has been eating, without (much) complaint.  I decided he needed a little treat.  He loves clams.  Me? Not so much.  But I will make them for him once in a while.  The baby boy also eats clams, so they shared a plate while the chick and I  watched.

There isn't a real recipe for these, I'll just tell you how I make them.  It is a little different each time, but the method is the same.  It doesn't matter if you are making a pound (like I did here) or 5 pounds, which I have done before for a family gathering.  Sometimes I add finely diced yellow and red peppers for color and/or top with a small sprinkle of cilantro or parsley, depends on who I am making them for.

Since these were for Dave, I didn't add anything green or peppers (not his favorite), and he was getting salad for dinner after this appetizer so he was good.

These only take a couple minutes to make.  They are perfect with a cold beer, a crusty baguette, and a warm day on the back porch.



Clams

3 slices bacon, chopped
1 small onion, finely diced
splash of brandy or dry white wine
1 pound clams, cleaned and scrubbed
2 cups chicken broth

optional: diced bell pepper, parsley or cilantro

Fry chopped bacon, remove bacon to towel covered plate and drain all but about 1 Tbsp. of the bacon fat.  Fry onion in the bacon fat.  When onion is soft and translucent, add broth and brandy or wine and bring to boil.  Add clams to pan and cover.  Steam 3-5 minutes or until clams open.  Remove clams to a large bowl, cover to keep warm.  Continue to boil broth until it is reduced to about 3/4 cup (add peppers at this point).  Pour broth over clams, top with parsley or cilantro, if desired, and serve with bread.

1 year ago:   Bacon and Cheese Corn on the Cob
2 years ago:  Butterfinger Martini
3 years ago:  Barbecue Chicken Salad with Cornbread Croutons

May 15, 2015  Sunrise 4:28 am  Sunset 11:09 pm  Temp H 77/ L 48°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.