Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Penne with Asparagus, Pepitas, and Mint

Dave and I just spent a long weekend in Austin, Texas.  I had work there on Monday so we flew down on Saturday, spent the weekend going to the Texas History Museum, the Austin Aquarium, out to eat, and shopping!  Dave flew home on Monday while I worked and I flew home on Tuesday.  It was a fun weekend together, and Austin is much greener than I expected.

The downside to that was I didn't get to spend Mother's Day with any of my kids.  I did get a phone call from each of my boys so I was very happy.  I am one lucky momma.

Because of the break in salads over the weekend, we are back at it again.  This is not really a salad, or it is a warm pasta salad if you will.  I added the cheese to Dave's plate, but left it off the kids and then added grilled chicken.  We all enjoyed the dish and the stinky pee the rest of the evening...you gotta love asparagus!


Penne with Asparagus, Pepitas, and Mint
adapted from Cooking Light
8 oz. uncooked whole-grain penne pasta
5 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 lb. asparagus, trimmed and cut diagonally into 1-1/2 inch pieces
3 green onion, chopped, white and green parts divided
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. butter
1.5 ounces percorino Romano cheese, grated
1/4 cup pepitas
2 Tbsp. fresh mint, chopped
4-4oz. grilled chicken breast tenders, sliced

Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.  Drain in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid.  Return pasta and 1/4 cup reserved cooking liquid to pan.  Cover and keep warm over low heat.

Meanwhile, heat a nonstick skillet over medium high heat.  Add 1 Tbsp. oil to the pan; swirl to coat.  Add asparagus; sauté 3 minutes or until tender-crisp.  Stir in white parts of green onions and garlic; cool 30 seconds.  Add wine; cook 1 minutes.  Add asparagus mixture, salt and pepper to pasta mixture.  Stir in remaining 2 tsp. oil, remaining green onions, butter, and cheese.  Divide pasta evenly among 4 bowls.  Sprinkle evenly with pepitas and mint.  Top with grilled chicken.


May 19, 2015    Sunrise 4:14 am  Sunset 11:23 pm  Temp. H 76/L 49°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.