Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Keto Shrimp with Tomatoes and Feta

Spring is really here.  The days are sunny and it is getting warm by the afternoon (60's are warm here this time of year).  The last couple of days my car has been hot when I get in it to go home.  I decided I would crack the sun roof, just enough to vent the hot air out.  Sometimes I am so smart I surprise myself.

I've been walking at lunch and doing a good job of getting my steps in.  I usually do a quick 10 minute walk about 10:00, then a 30 minute walk at noon, and, if I'm not too busy, another 10 minutes around 4:00.  So yesterday, I did my quick walk in the morning, it was bright sunny and in the 60's.  It was glorious.  At noon, I popped on my earphones for some tunes and headed out into the sunshine.  I got about 20 minutes into my walk and it started to rain.  There were big black clouds moving our way but nothing above me.  I had to walk up the hill to my office, so I hoofed it as fast as I could (because my fake straight hair does not like to get damp).  By the time I got to the parking lot it had started to hail along with the rain.  I just ducked in the building and the sky opened up and dumped.  It rained so hard you couldn't see the mountain range out our office windows, and it rained for about 20 minutes, hard.  I was hoping it was raining at my house so I wouldn't have to water my grass tonight.

At the end of the work day, I headed out to my car, opened the door and the whole inside is wet.  The seats are wet, the dash is wet, the cup holders have about an inch of water in them.  I forgot the sun roof was cracked all day and the deluge just filled my car.  Nice.  I grabbed some napkins out of the glove box and wiped up as much as I could.  I sat down and my pants got wet, awesome.  I'll never do that again, the weather is too unpredictable.

I needed something good for dinner after all that.  Shrimp is one of Dave's favorite things, me, not so much.  I do enjoy this shrimp with tomatoes and feta and try to make it for dinner once in a while.  Well, I've been cutting the carbs so this needed a bit of a do-over.  

I cut down on the tomatoes and onion and added a little bone broth.  The flavor is still all there and we loved it.  I even took the left-overs to work for lunch, and I don't really like shrimp!


This is great served over cauliflower rice or zoodles.  I eat it just as it is.

Shrimp with Tomatoes and Feta

2 Tbsp. avocado oil
1/2 cup onion
3 cloves garlic minced
1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup chicken bone broth
1/2 tsp. pepper
1.5 pounds of shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1 cup feta cheese, crumbled and divided
chopped parsley and cilantro, optional

Preheat oven to 350˚F.
Heat oil in medium, oven-safe pan, add onion and sauté until opaque, 3-5 minutes, add garlic and sauté for 1 minute more.  Add tomatoes, broth and pepper.  Bring to boil and reduce to simmer.  Add shrimp in one layer over the tomatoes.  Top with parmesan and 1/2 the feta.  Place in oven for 12-15 minutes until shrimp is cooked through and cheese is melted.  Top with remaining feta and fresh parsley and cilantro.
Serves 4

331 Calories, 8 g. carbs, 1 g. fiber, 7 g net carbs, 17g fat, 35 g  protein

2 years ago:  Adventures of Bolty and Being Obnoxious to My Husband
4 years ago:  Bacon Wrapped, Cheese Stuffed Hot Dogs
6 years ago:  My Cookbook Illness and Lemon Meringue Pie

May 23, 2018  Sunrise 4:00am  Sunset 11:37pm  Temp. H 63/L 45˚F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.