Monday, May 21, 2018

Seed Crackers


I've been working on a few favorite recipes and making them Keto safe.  One of my favorite snacks are these oat, seed and nut crackers.  I wanted to make them without the oatmeal, chia seeds and the maple syrup. I found that you really need the chia seeds to help hold them together, so I left that in.
I like to make this into 16 large crackers so I
can pile avocado and 1/2 a hard boiled egg on
top for my breakfast.  You can make them smaller
if you want to use them for dips.
This is not a favorite of Dave's so I get them all to myself.  I'll keep 1/2 the recipe for breakfast this week and put the other half in the motorhome for a quick snack while we are camping.  
Breakfast at my desk this week:
seed crackers, avocado and hard boiled egg.



Seed Crackers
1/2 cup chia seeds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup sesame seeds
3 Tbsp. poppy seeds
1 cup warm water
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. sea salt
Flaky sea salt for topping, optional

In a medium bowl, mix seeds together.  In a small bowl or a two cup measuring cup add water, garlic, onion and salt (I find warm water helps to dissolve this better).  Mix water into the seed mixture, stirring until well combined.  Let sit for 15 minutes then stir again.

Meanwhile, preheat oven to 325°F.  Line a rimmed 13x15" baking sheet with parchment paper.  Once seeds have soaked and been stirred, pour mixture onto prepared baking sheet.  Cover with a second piece of parchment and pat out about 1/4 inch thick.  Remove top parchment and bake for 30 minutes.

After 30 minutes remove from oven and flip sheet of crackers over, I do this by covering crackers with parchment, taking a second baking sheet and covering the top of the crackers, flipping the whole thing over, and removing the hot (now top) baking sheet.  Be sure to use hot pads as the baking sheet is hot (I don't think YOU are stupid enough to try this without hot pads, but, um, someone I know did this once without hot pads and my her hands were really burned and the crackers ended up on the floor all over the kitchen).  Peel off the parchment that is on top of the crackers, cut into desired size and bake for 25-30 more minutes, until lightly golden.  Top with flaky sea salt, if desired. 
Remove from oven, separate any crackers that are stuck together, and cool completely. 
16 crackers
per cracker: 109 calories, 5g. protein, 8g. fat, 6g. total carbs, 4g. fiber, 2g. net carbs.


May 21, 2018  Sunrise 4:06 am  Sunset 11:30 pm  Temp. H 68/ L 46°F





1 comment:

  1. Hi Toni,

    Thanks for sharing great recipes as always.

    I subscribed to your email list so it was the first thing I checked this morning.

    Regards,

    Christine.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.