Thursday, May 17, 2018

Triple Chocolate Truffle Cookies with Flaky Salt


I was traveling for work last week. Well, some of the week I worked.  I went to Texas and I have a niece in Texas so I had to go a couple days early to spend some time with her.  I landed in Houston and spent two wonderful days with Kaitlin. We went to the park, the aquarium, ate some wonderful food and ended our visit with brunch on Sunday before I had to leave.
My beautiful niece, Kaitlin having brunch.

Then I drove to Austin to meet my team for work. We worked and had a little fun.  We went and saw the 1.5 millions bats fly out from under Congress Bridge at dusk.  It was quite the experience.
We could see the bats.

On Wednesday, I flew to Seattle and stopped for the weekend on my way home to see the grand baby.  I had three lovely days with him. He did cry when I said I had to go.  "No go, mamaw, no go."  It broke my heart and I had to leave quickly, pull over a couple blocks away and have a bit of a cry before I could drive to the airport.
Lunch with MaMaw. He is the best lunch date ever.

I'm home now for three weeks, then a trip to Montana to visit family.  I'm really happy to be home for a while.  My neighbor is too, he mentioned how much he misses my baking when I'm gone (I can see that hint a mile away!).

So, I made these cookies for him and I took a plate of them to work.  They were such a hit I'm going to experiment with them and make them keto safe so I can eat some too.  They are chocolaty, and creamy in the middle with that salt on the top, mmmm.  Or so I'm told.  I didn't eat one but the look on everyone's face while they ate one made me decide to make a keto batch.  I'll keep you updated.

In the meantime, make these.  I'll live vicariously through you.

Triple Chocolate Truffle Cookies
adapted from Celebrating Cookies

3 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
4 oz. semisweet chocolate, like Lint or Ghirardelli
4 oz. unsweetened chocolate, like Lint or Ghirardelli
3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1/3 cup flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Flaky salt, like Fleur De Sel or Cyprus Flake

Place semisweet chocolate, unsweetened chocolate and butter in a microwave safe bowl.  Heat on medium power in 20 second increments, stirring between each additional time, until chocolate is completely melted and smooth.

Mix eggs, sugar and vanilla until mixture is mixed well and eggs are light yellow.  Add chocolate mixture and mix well.  Add flour and baking powder, stir until soft dough forms.  Stir in walnuts and chocolate chips.

Drop by small spoonfuls of dough 2 inches apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Sprinkle salt on top of each cookie.
Bake at 350˚F for 7-8 minutes or until lightly browned on bottom.  Leaving cookies on parchment paper, remove paper from pan.  Cool cookies 5 minutes; transfer to wire racks to cool.

2 years ago:  Spring and What a Difference a Week Makes
4 years ago:  Learning to Like Dark Chocolate and Swirled Chocolate Bark
6 years ago:  Meatloaf for Two and Crying at the Dinner Table

May 17, 2018   Sunrise 4:20 am  Sunset 11:16 pm   Temp H 59/L 35˚F


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.