Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Cowboy Cookies


I'm kind of on a cookie kick.  I don't know if it is the snow on the ground and the colder temperatures are making me crave cookies, or the fact that the holiday season starts with Halloween and the curly haired boy and the baby boy are both coming up with their chicks during the holiday and I want to have lots of goodies on hand, or that I just love cookies.

Cookies are a little bundle of love.  You can have a cookie everyday and not feel too guilty.  You can send them through the mail to loved ones far away and it is like opening a hug.  You can give them to friends and neighbors for a thank you, get well soon, congrats, or just because.  So I am making lots of cookies.

Like I've posted before, I like to make the cookie dough, scoop it into balls and freeze the dough.  I can pull out 3 cookies, or 2 dozen and bake them as needed.  I really like to have several varieties in the freezer so I can make a plate with an assortment and it is really no trouble at all.

These are really yummy cookies.  You could add/delete any of the add-ins to suit your taste.  I happen to love the coconut, chocolate chips, and nuts.  But have made them with different flavored chips or chocolate chunks, change up the nuts, leave out the coconut, or add dried fruit.  It really depends on what I have in the pantry.

This the the "traditional" version of cowboy cookies, just like my mom used to make.  Enjoy.
Cowboy Cookies

1 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups quick cooking oats
1 pkg. (12 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut

In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars until creamy.  Add eggs and vanilla; beat until smooth.  In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture, stir until a soft dough forms.  Stir in oats, chocolate chips, pecans, and coconut.

Drop by tablespoonfuls of dough 2 inches apart onto lightly greased baking sheets.  Bake at 350º F for 9-11 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.  Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool.
Makes about 5 dozen cookies.

October 24, 2012     Daylight 8 hours, 40 minutes, 0 sec.     Temp. 7º F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.