Monday, February 18, 2013

Fried Dill Pickles


You know the way to a man's heart is through his stomach.  That is true for my husband too, but unfortunately for me, he is the savory kind of guy, and very picky to boot (he did marry me after all).  I love to bake, I have a sweet tooth and if you  look at past posts you know the sweet stuff I love to eat.  Dave, not so much.  He wants meat, pasta, and for a snack, something salty.

I was very pleased with myself when I found this recipe for deep fried dill pickles.  Dave LOVES dill pickles, he even adds them to a tossed salad if he is making one.  I had planned on making these for him on Valentine's Day, as a little appetizer before the steaks he was grilling, but three glasses of champagne got in the way of that, so I made them for him over the weekend.

These are delicious (even for the sweet pickle lover in me!).  They are the perfect little snack for a gathering, or for watching season 3 of Downton Abby.  I know I'll be making these often.  We loved them.  I put the oil in the freezer and labeled it with what I cooked in it so the next time I fry fish or chicken it doesn't end up taking like dill pickles!

Try this for the pickle lover in your life.  It is a tasty treat.

Fried Dill Pickles
adapted from Food Network Magazine, June 2012

For the Sauce:

1/4 cu. mayonnaise
1 Tbsp. horseradish
2 tsp. ketchup
1/4 tsp. Cajun seasoning

For the Pickles:

Peanut oil for frying
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 3/4 tsp. cajun seasoning
1/2 tsp. italian seasoning
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 c. water
kosher salt
2 c. slicked dill pickles, drained

1. Make the sauce: mix mayo, horseradish, ketchup and cajun seasoning in a bowl; set aside.

2. Fry pickles: Heat 1 inch peanut oil in a pot over medium high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 375˚F.  Spread the pickles on paper towels and pat dry.  Whisk the flour, cajun seasoning, italian seasoning, cayenne pepper, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/2 cup water in a large bowl until smooth.  Add half of the pickles to the batter and toss to coat.  Remove from the batter using a slotted spoon, letting the excess drip off, and add to the oil one at a time.  Fry until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes; remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.  Return the oil to 375˚F and repeat with the remaining pickles and batter.  Serve immediately with the prepared sauce.

February 18, 2013     Daylight 8 hours, 55 minutes, 37 seconds     Temp: H -9/ L -24˚F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.