Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Oatmeal Cookie Bars with Fudge Filling


I want you all to know that God does answer prayers.  Just the other day I was praying, "Dear God, if you really won't make me skinny make everyone around me fat so I look better." (I know, I'm kind like that)
Well, he answered that prayer with this recipe.  Not only is it oh, so delicious, it is easy to make and with oatmeal in it, you can pass it off as health food.

Me, "No really, it is oatmeal, it will lower your cholesterol."
Them, "I don't know, I really have been trying to be good and lose some weight."
Me, "The oatmeal has filling fiber and the chocolate has anitoxidants.  It is true health food."
Them, "Well, o.k. maybe just one."
And then I have them, you can't eat one and soon, their jeans will be as tight as mine...Not a pretty picture.
I plan on making this at least once a week.

BUT, I'm sure YOU can afford a few extra calories, and it is made with oatmeal and chocolate does have antioxidants - really these are good for you....

Oatmeal Cookie Bars with Fudge Filling
adapted from Love, Life, Lavins

Oatmeal Cookie Layers
1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened
2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1/3 cup milk
2.5 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
3 cups oatmeal

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Mix flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl.  Set aside.
In your stand mixer or with electric beaters, mix butter and sugar until light.  Add eggs, one at a time, add vanilla and milk.  Add flour mixture and oatmeal.

Fudge filling
In a medium saucepan, over medium heat melt together:
1 can Eagle's brand sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup butter
1 (12 oz) bag semi sweet chocolate chips

To Assemble
Butter a 9X13 pan, line with parchment paper and butter the parchment paper.  Evenly spread 2/3 of the oatmeal cookie dough in the bottom of the pan.  Top cookie dough with chocolate mixture. Drop by crumbling the last 1/3 of the cookie dough over the top, the cookie dough will be very sticky and you will have chocolate showing.  Bake for 25-30 minutes.  If top begins to brown too quickly, cover with aluminum foil for the last 10 minutes.  Cool completely, or the chocolate is a mess.  Remove bars from pan by lifting the parchment paper out of the pan.  Cut into squares.
Devour.

February 5, 2013     Daylight 7 hours, 25 minutes, 56 seconds   Temp. H -9/ L -17 °F
Riley peeking over the arm of the sofa and Lilly waiting for a treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.