Monday, April 8, 2013

Fresh Strawberry Pie with no added sugar.

Stress cannot exist in the presence of pie.
David Mamet
Real strawberries are in the store now and I can't get enough.  I overload on strawberries for a while, take a bit of a break and go back at them once you can get them locally, like in August.

I learned this little trick from another blogger that posted on this blog Frugal by Choice, Cheap by Necessity.  This, oh so smart blogger uses the Simply Fruit spreadable fruit spread to sweeten cream cheese for frosting.  You can find the blog here.  I put some sweetened cream cheese on the bottom of the pie crust before I load it with strawberries, so I decided to sweeten with the simply fruit.  AWESOMENESS!

Then I used the rest of the jar, melted it, added a splash of fresh lemon juice and poured it over the top of the sliced strawberries.  It was so good, and I felt justified in having the second piece because it has no added sugar!  I call that success.


Fresh Strawberry Pie

1 baked pie crust, or graham cracker crust
8 oz. 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
1 10 oz. jar Simply Fruit spreadable fruit
2 pints fresh strawberries
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice.

Mix cream cheese with about 1/3 of the jar of simply fruit.  Spread into cooled pie crust or graham cracker crust.

Slice strawberries and arrange on top of cream cheese layer.

Add the rest of the jar of simply fruit to a small saucepan, add lemon juice.  Heat slowly to a thin consistency, spoon over strawberries, covering the whole pie.  Refrigerate until cold.


April 8, 2013     Daylight 14 hours, 26 minutes, 57 seconds   Temp. H 18/ L 5°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.