Monday, April 15, 2013

Pickled Red Onions


I'm using left-overs for dinner.  We had pulled pork in the freezer from Dave's birthday party and wanted to change it up a little.  I threw the pork in a saute pan, added some taco seasoning, and let the pork crisp up and caramelize a little.  Then I stuffed the pork into warmed corn tortillas, added some salsa verde and these pickled red onions.  Dinner was a hit.

I don't do very good with left-overs.  I usually leave them in the fridge for Dave to eat for lunch or for our son to eat when he stops by (as he is opening the fridge he asks, "Toni, what is the oldest thing I should eat first?")  I was pretty pleased with this.  It didn't seem like left-overs to Dave and we didn't eat pulled pork "again", which is a good thing since I have two more containers of pulled pork in the freezer...any other suggestions?

Pork Carnitas

Left-Over Pulled Pork, this is the recipe I use
Taco Seasoning, this is the recipe I use
Salsa Verde, I used a jar
Pickled Onions


Pickled Red Onions
adapted from Food Network Magazine, May 2013
1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
2 Tbsp. sugar
2 bay leaves
1 tsp. coriander seeds
1 tsp. mustard seed
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. kosher salt

Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan.  Boil 2 minutes, let cool.  Store in refrigerator.

Dave puts these on everything; salads, sandwiches, eggs, tacos, pork chops.....
April 15, 2013     Daylight 15 hours, 14 minutes, 50 seconds   Temp. H 33/L 7ºF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.