Friday, April 12, 2013

Homemade Taco Seasoning


With 5 kids, we had a lot of likes and dislikes.  The curly haired boy's favorite was beef stew, the little princess didn't like it.  Her favorite was steak, which we couldn't afford very often with 7 of us at the dinner table.  The blond boy loved chicken pot pie, Dave hated it.  The baby boy always chose mac and cheese and hot dogs, that combination makes me gag just thinking about it, we had it so often.  And the oldest boy loved salad.  I would cut three heads of romaine and he would eat two of them himself!
Some of my favorite sauce recipes, I have them taped inside my spice cabinet.  Taco spice is on the green sticky.

One thing everyone could agree on was taco night.  We would fry up some moose burger and use this seasoning mix,  I always had the spices on hand and it took seconds to measure it out, without the added salt and additives.  I still use this spice mix a couple times a month.  We have taco night, taco salad, shredded chicken for burritos or mix it with refried beans and make quesadillas.  You can make a big batch, but for me it is just as easy to measure it out each time.

Homemade Taco Mix
1 Tbsp. Chili powder
2 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. oregano

Mix together.  Use for one lb. ground meat, shredded chicken, or pork.

April 12, 2013   Daylight 14 hours, 54 minutes, 16 seconds   Temp. H 17/ L -12ºF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.