Monday, June 17, 2013

Grilled Shrimp Salad with Berries, Avocado, and Grapefruit

Dave went camping last weekend.  I had a quiet weekend at home, rested and read a lot.  It is a good thing I had some quiet time, I think I needed it with all the house projects and traveling for work I've done recently.  I've been a little grumpy and forgetful.

Last week, we were working around the house.  Dave was outside and I was doing something inside.  The phone rang, so I answered it.  It was for Dave.  I looked around the house and he wasn't anywhere to be found.  I looked across the street and there he was, on a ladder in the neighbor's yard, with the neighbor holding the ladder.  I thought to myself, "How nice Dave is helping the neighbor.  Now we will never get our own stuff done because Dave is always helping everyone else and never gets anything done around here." (See, a little grumpy)

I walked all the way across the street, right up to the ladder and said, "Honey."  Then I looked up and IT WASN'T MY HUSBAND!  It was the neighbor (who is 84) with his son holding the ladder.  The both looked at me with a startled expression.

"You're not Dave."  I stated the obvious. And I started to laugh as I walked back across the street.
They just shook their heads at me as I retreated into my house.
Dave had gone to the store to pick something up.  If I had bothered to notice the car was not in the driveway, I might have saved myself some embarrassment.


Over the weekend, the neighbor was washing his truck.  I shouted across the street to him, "If I call you honey again, will you wash my jeep?"
He declined.

To continue our Salad Summer, I made this delicious entree salad.  It has shrimp for the protein, mixed baby greens, berries for the antioxidants, and avocado for a healthy fat.  The shrimp were grilled and brushed with a sweet rum marinade.  I'm sure this is brain food, and obviously, I need it.

Grilled Shrimp Salad

For the Shrimp
1 1/2 lbs. large shrimp (I use 26-30 count)
1 Tbsp. canola oil
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/8 tsp. salt

For the Rum glaze
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup dark rum
1/4 cup corn syrup
3 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp. white vinegar
1 Tbsp butter
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. black pepper

For the Salad
Mixed baby greens, depends on how large you want your portions
1 pink grapefruit
1 cup blackberries
1 avocado

For the Dressing
1/4 cup good balsamic vinegar
3/4 cup good olive oil
salt
pepper
minced garlic, optional
1 tsp. Dijon mustard

If using wooden skewers, completely submerge in water, soak for 1 hour or longer.

Mix canola oil, lemon juice pepper, salt and garlic in a large ziplock bag.  Add shrimp.  Seal and chill for 15 minutes.  Thread shrimp on skewers.

Combine brown sugar, rum, corn syrup, mustard, vinegar, butter, salt, cinnamon, and pepper in a saucepan.  Bring sauce to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes until syrupy.

Mix mustard, salt, pepper, and vinegar together in small bowl.  Whisking constantly, drizzle olive oil into vinegar mixture.  Set aside.

Rinse greens and dry, I love my salad spinner for this.  Divide among 4 plates.

Cut grapefruit segments, and divide between plates.  Rinse berries and divide between plates.  Cut avocado and divide between four plates.

Grill shrimp skewers, 3 minutes each side, over medium-low heat.  Brushing with rum glaze several times. (Because of the sugar content, it tends to burn easily, so I brush the glaze on after each side gets cooked).

Remove shrimp from skewers and divide among salads.  Pass dressing separately.
Serves 4


June 17, 2013   Sunrise 2:59 am  Sunset 12:45 am  Temp. H 88/ L 59 ºF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.