Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Salmon with Orange and Radish Salad


The joy of mid summer.  I can't begin to explain how wonderful Fairbanks can be in the summer. The sun shines all the time, right now it get into the 80s every day, so far there is no smoke from the forest fires, I have Fridays off...the list is long and lovely.

One problem with summer is I run out of fish.  I cooked my last pkg. of fish from last summer.  I'm hoping someone refills my freezer for me, otherwise I'll be fishing at my local grocery store.  I'm always successful fishing at Fred Meyer,  but it does cost a pretty penny!

So I saved my last pack of fish for my folks (because I'm kind like that).  They drove up to spend the summer.  They used to live in Fairbanks, now share time between here and Tucson.  They arrived Sunday afternoon and we had salmon, these ribs, cole slaw and Grandma's beans.  It was a delicious dinner and good to catch up with my folks.

I pulled radishes from the garden box, cut some oranges and let them marinate for a couple of hours.  I squeezed some fresh orange juice over the fish, Dave grilled it and I'm lucky to have left-overs for my lunch.

How ever you get your fish, enjoy it this way.
Yes, it is the same picture, I was too busy eating to take more than one picture.

Salmon with Orange and Radish Salad
for fish
Salmon Fillet, deboned
1 orange, juiced
salt and pepper to taste

for salad
12 radishes
2 oranges
2 Tbsp. olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
mint, optional ( I was going to add it, but forgot!)

Trim tops and bottoms off radishes, cut in half then in thin half moons.  Cut ends off oranges, then  trim the peel off oranges with a knife, following the contour of the orange.  Section oranges and add to radishes.  Squeeze juice from the remaining membranes and add to radishes and oranges.  Add olive oil, sal and pepper, and mint, if using.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 to 4 hours.

Heat grill.  Pull bones from salmon, see here how to do that.  Juice oranges and pour over meat side of salmon, salt and pepper.  Let sit for 15-30 minutes.  Grill over med. heat for 6-10 minutes, depending on thickness of fillets and desired doneness.

Cut into serving size pieces and top with salad.  Enjoy!

June 26, 2013    Sunrise 3:02 am  Sunset 12:45 am  Temp. H 91/ L 64°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.