Thursday, June 13, 2013

Light Pina Colada


So, Dave and I have been working really hard on our house.  We finished painting the inside and we (meaning mostly Dave) are now working on the outside.  The weather is not cooperating, I wanted the house on the market by now, and (I'm told) I'm being a little demanding.  What?

I saw the previews for the movie So This Is 40 (I think that is the name of the movie), and there is this one scene that the husband and wife are in bed talking about killing each other, have you seen this?  And the husband says something about a wood chipper.  I laughed and was telling Dave about this and he said (with a wistful look in his eye), "Oh yea, but you have to wait to 40 below and just shoot the frozen body chips over the Tanana River so they float down with breakup..."

So, have you been thinking about this long, honey?

Well, about a week later we were outside painting on the house and the neighbor was working in his yard, and out comes the wood chipper.  I about wet myself!  I told Dave I had to go to the store or something and quickly left the neighborhood for a couple of hours.  I wasn't taking any chances.  By the time I got home, the chipper was gone, but my nerves were shot.  I needed a drink.

I do think I'm pretty safe right now.  Dave is tired and grumpy, but it is about 70° F  and he did say a person should wait to 40 below.

In any event, I figure I have a few months before it begins to get cold again and I might as well enjoy this drink as often as I can, with the time I have left.

Cheers

Skinny Pina Colada
The tropical taste of coconut and the fresh fruity taste of pineapple make this the perfect summer drink.  Part needs to steep overnight, so plan ahead.  It is so worth the effort.  I am doubling the recipe so I'll have plenty on hand.

Cooking Light June 2012
8 servings about 2/3 c each serving

Ingredients 
2 cups flaked sweetened coconut 
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated fat-free milk
2 cups cubed fresh pineapple 
2 1/2 cups ice cubes
3/4 cup gold rum (such as Bacardi Gold) 
1/4 cup pineapple juice
2 tablespoons light agave nectar 
8 fresh pineapple slices
Preparation
1. Combine 2 cups coconut and evaporated milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat, and cook until tiny bubbles form around edge (do not boil), about 7 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and chill at least 4 hours or up to overnight.

2. Arrange pineapple in a single layer on a baking sheet; freeze at least 1 hour or until firm.

3. Strain coconut mixture through a sieve over a medium bowl, pressing coconut with the back of a spoon to remove as much milk as possible. Discard solids.

4. Combine pineapple, ice cubes, rum, juice, and agave nectar in a blender; process mixture until smooth. Add milk mixture, and process until smooth. Serve with pineapple slices.

June 13, 2013   Sunrise 3:03 am  Sunset 12:39 am   Temp. H 72/ L 50

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.