Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Words with Friends and Dutch Apple Pie


It is funny how you learn things about your spouse every day, even after years of living together.  Dave and I have been married for over 14 years and I'm still learning...like how he is a poor loser in Words with Friends.

We play a lot of Words with Friends.  I think I have 9 games going right now.  I do lose most of them and I always lose to Dave, almost always.  So the other night, when I won, and scored over 400 points I was pretty pleased with myself.  I didn't even rub it in, because it was the first game I beat him in since, like, July!  He said,  "Good game." I said, "One in a row!" and our rule is the winner starts the next game.  We figure it gives the second player a slight advantage with their first move because they have the extra letters to work with.

So I started the next game.  It was an o.k. word, only 12 points.

"Oh, sorry honey, I accidently hit don't accept.  Start another game." he laughs from the sofa.

"What, you didn't accept?  I win one game in 6 months and you have a problem with that?" I was a little irritated, but started the next game.  I knew God was helping me out, because this time I had a Z and I could play it on a double word score!  I played and hit send.

"Oh shit!"  He laughs, "I did it again.  I hit the wrong button on accident.  I didn't accept the game."
Don't let the smile fool you, he is seething inside because I beat him in Words with Friends!

REALLY.

One time I can understand a mistake, but two times...

I went to bed claiming I would never play Words with Friends with him again.

Sore loser.
So, he started a game and skipped his turn.  He is trying to suck up, but it won't work.

I made a Dutch apple pie.  I don't know what makes it Dutch, except it has a crumble top, not a crust.  I made it for the Chick, she said it was her favorite kind of pie.  I think I ate half of it.

Dutch Apple Pie
1 pastry crust, I totally used the store bought rolled up kind
8 granny smith apples, peeled and sliced thinly
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1-2 Tbsp. cornstarch, depending on how juicy your apples are

Topping
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
6 Tbsp. butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350
°F.

Line pie plate with crust (use your favorite or a store bought if you are lazy like me).

Mix sliced apples, lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cornstarch.  Lay apple sliced in the pastry, laying them snuggly.

In a medium bowl mix flour, brown sugar, salt, mix well. Add the melted butter and mix until well incorporated and it makes little clumps.  Top apple slices with the crumble.

Place pie plate on a foil lined baking sheet and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the crumble is nicely browned.
Random picture of the Bboy and the Chick.
1 year ago:  Coquito - Drink of the Week
2 years ago: Bar-B-Que and Bird Feeders

December 4, 2013  Daylight 4 hrs, 24 min, 35 sec.  Temp. H 8/L 3°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.