Friday, February 14, 2014

Bacon Jam is another name for Love


I am always trying to make up to my husband for the dumb shit I do find ways to show my husband some love.  Especially around Valentine's Day.  He is not a big sweet eater, he has everything he needs and then some, and I really always have some kissing up to do just want to show him how much I love him.

Bacon Jam.  What more do I need to say?  This makes up for a whole lot of things, like the Walking Dead commercials on t.v. that are giving me nightmares and I kick him in his sleep, or the extra shelving unit I need in the dish room that he had to put together, or when I come home from working a FULL day (I know, you don't want to hear it either), or the pulled shoulder muscle he has to rub....constantly...

What do you do to show your sweetie some love? I need all the ideas I can get!
What is bacon jam good on?  Let's see, toast, waffles, crackers, my husband eats it on his salad, toasted tomato sandwiches, cheese sandwiches, macaroni, baguette, pizza.....

BACON JAM
1 lb sliced bacon, cut into 1/2“ chunks
1 large sweet onion, diced fine
3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1 cup brewed coffee
½ cup apple cider vinegar
½ cup orange juice
¼ cup maple syrup
4 tablespoons brown sugar
¼ tsp ground ginger
¼ cup bourbon

Cook bacon chunks until browned, then transfer to plate lined with paper towels to soak up excess fat.
Drain all but 2 Tbs. bacon fat from pan, add onions and garlic. Saute on medium until softened, stirring to prevent burning. Return bacon chunks to pan and add the coffee, vinegar, o.j., maple syrup, brown sugar, and ginger. Simmer on low for 45 minutes, then transfer to food processer and pulse until finely chopped. Return mixture to pan and cook on low another 15 minutes. Add bourbon and simmer until thick, syrupy, and dark (approx. 30 more minutes). Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before pouring into jars or other airtight containers. Refrigerate. Will keep 3-4 weeks.
Makes 2 cups
Adapted from “The Best of Breakfast in a Jar”

February 14, 2014   Daylight 8 hrs. 26 min. 38 sec.  Temp. H-8/ L -20°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.