Monday, February 10, 2014

Crock Pot Maple Bacon Wrapped Chicken


I have never been accused of having good timing...I am always the one who is one beat late, hesitate too long for a joke's punchline, don't get the sarcastic remark...you get the picture.  But just after I posted about not being a good crock pot cook, I read this blog post  by Stacy Makes Cents, now she has good timing.  She posts crock pot recipes once a week and this one just spoke to me. Bacon.  I had to try it.

I made it on Sunday, so Dave would smell the bacon cooking and maybe begin to change his mind about crock pot dinners.  I know I should have done it on a work night to save myself a late dinner again, but this was all part of my "Change Dave's mind about crock pot meals" plan.  It smelled delicious!

 Oh course, mine didn't turn out like the pictures in Stacy's blog, I think I had too much chicken in my crockpot and the bacon just kind of boiled, so when I removed the chicken, I put the bacon in a frying pan and fried it until it was crisp.  The maple syrup caramelized and make these crunchy, sweet bits and the bacon was sweet with just a little heat from the cayenne pepper.  I sprinkled the bacon bits over the chicken and served with warm BBQ sauce.   Everyone enjoyed it.  I'll try it again and see if I can't get it to look like the one on Stacy's blog.

What are some of your favorite crock pot recipes?  I need all the help I can get.

Crock Pot Maple Bacon Wrapped Chicken

adapted from Stacy Makes Cents,click here to see her blog
  • 1 ½ pounds chicken breast (about 4 breasts), cut in half
  • 2 chicken thighs (Dave doesn't like white meat)
  • 12 slices bacon
  • ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • ¼ cup maple syrup
  • BBQ sauce for serving, if desired
  1. Wrap each piece of chicken with a piece of bacon.
  2. Place chicken in bottom of 5 quart crock.
  3. Combine cayenne pepper and maple syrup.
  4. Pour mixture over chicken.
  5. Cover and cook on low 6 hours.
  6. Remove with slotted spoon.
Yield: 6 servings

1 year ago:   Fried Dill Pickles
2 years ago:  Apple, Onion, and Bacon stuffed Pork Chops

February 10, 2014   Daylight 7 hrs. 59 mins. 20 sec.  Temp. H -11/ L/-29°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.