Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad with Hazelnuts and Dried Apricots


So I went back to work full time since recruiting season is really getting under way.  I do enjoy my work, but damn, it sure gets in the way of life!  I didn't get done what I wanted to when I worked 6 hrs. a day, now that I work 8 hrs. a day nothing is getting done.

I know all of you who work full time are thinking hateful things about me.  But I am old, and tired, and really wrinkly, so I need my beauty sleep.  And now my 3:30 nap is gone.

Well, one of the things Dave has been complaining about is that I told him about 3 years ago I was making a mosaic piece for the backyard.  Some previous owners of our house took out the bathroom window and just put a piece of plywood in that spot.  I told him I was making this mosaic to cover that.  I bought the concrete board, got the glass, chose a pattern...and there all those materials sit.  So I have made this deal with myself, that I will get it done before summer......hahahahahahahaha.

We all have to have goals.

This salad is delicious and easy to throw together with the help of your food processor.  It gives me more time to watch NCIS and read magazines work on the mosaic.  Even if you have to work a full day.

Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad with Hazelnuts and Dried Apricots
Ellie Krieger, Weeknight Wonders

1/3 cup hazelnuts
3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp. sherry vinegar
2 Tbsp. fresh orange juice
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. honey
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
3/4 pound whole Brussels Sprouts (about 20 medium)
8 dried Turkish apricots

Toast the hazelnuts in a small dry skillet over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until browned and fragrant, about 4 minutes.  Set aside to cool slightly, 2 minutes.  Wrap the toasted nts in a clean kitchen towel and rub vigorously to remove most of the skins.

In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, orange juice, mustard, honey, salt, and pepper.

Trim the ends off the Brussels sprouts, then thinly slice them in a food processor using the slicing blade.  You can do it by hand, but why?  Coarsely chop the hazelnuts and thinly slice the apricot. 

In a large bowl, toss the Brussels sprouts with the dressing, hazelnuts, and apricots until well incorporated. 

Makes 4 servings.

1 year ago:   Fudge Filled Oatmeal Cookies
2 years ago:  Pina Colada
Photo booth pictures from my niece's wedding reception.

February 5, 2014  Daylight 7 hrs. 25 min. 18 sec.  Temp. H15/ L-4°F


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.