Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Chicken Salad


Fairbanks has had a pretty cool and very wet summer so far.  As a matter of fact, the one week it was sunny and hot (in Fairbanks terms) we were in Seattle for the Curly Haired boy's wedding.  So last night, when I got home from work and my husband had a fire going I was 1) thrilled to death, 2) knew I had the best husband in the whole world, and 3) really sad that it was so blessed cold we needed a fire in July! (Some cheap ass in our house turns the heater zones off for the summer because she doesn't want to waste fuel on heating the house in the summer and my husband is cold because of it.  He can put on a damn sweater).

So the house was toasty warm, there were 7 of us around the table, I had a good glass of wine and we had this for dinner.  It was quick, with the store bought rotisserie chicken, delicious with the blueberries added, and a green salad and some watermelon finished the meal.  It almost felt like summer.

Chicken Salad
adapted from Cooking Light, August 2014
I made two batches, one with yogurt, one with mayo for the dairy free kids.

3 cups shredded chicken, I used a rotisserie chicken from the store
1/2 cup non-fat greek yogurt, or light mayo (I made one batch of each)
1/3 cup diced celery
1/4 cup basil, sliced
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 cup blueberries (o.k. I didn't really measure these, I just dumped some in)

In a large bowl add first 7 ingredients.  Mix well, add blueberries, mix carefully to incorporate.
Serve on toasted sandwich rolls or over mixed baby greens.

1 year ago:   Buttermilk Pastry Cream with Berries and the new Stove
2 years ago:  Tiramisu Brownies and Getting Left on the Side of the Road

July 23, 2014  Sunrise 4:20 am  Sunset 11:32  Temp. H 64/L 50°F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.