Friday, May 1, 2015

Salad Summer - Baby Greens and Artichoke Salad


I am home now from my big work trip, I've been home for 6 days now but have been trying to catch up on housework, mail, and sleep.  I caught a lovely cold the last 4 days of my trip (I blame the Seattle rain) and I've been sleeping like a dead person every night and most afternoons when I come home for a nap.

Now, I am feeling a little caught up...the house has been vacuumed at least once, parts twice, the bathrooms have been scrubbed, I dusted and mopped the floors, the bills all got paid and there is only one small pile of mail left for me to go through.  Feeling accomplished, I jumped on the scale...

So, I have named this summer "Salad Summer."  Yes, my big girl pants were feeling a little tight, but I contributed that to all the salt in restaurant food, and I did eat out, every meal, for the last three weeks.  But no, that really was not the case and there needs to be a plan to get me into the new clothes I purchased at the Mall of America and the Seattle shopping malls I visited (no, I didn't try them on, because I knew I was retaining water from all that salt you know and yes, I did have to buy another suitcase to bring them all home in).

I figure if we have a salad based dinner a couple times a week it will 1) be healthy for all of us, 2) not be too often for my husband to complain, 3) be easy prep, cooking, and clean-up, 4) be fresh and delicious!  A win-win-win situation for all of us.  After dinner, with a quick clean-up we can all go for a walk.  I'll get into those new clothes soon enough.

Baby Greens and Artichoke Salad
Cooking Light, May 2015

4 tsp. good olive oil
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
2 tsp. minced shallots
1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
9 oz. package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and quartered
5-6 cups baby greens
4-5 radishes, sliced

In a large bowl add olive oil, lemon juice, minced shallots, Dijon mustard, sugar, salt and pepper.  Whisk together.  Add artichoke hearts and toss to coat.  Let marinade for 30 minutes.  Add salad greens, toss to combine and coat with the dressing.  Divide between 4 plates and top with sliced radishes.
 Serves 4

I added grilled chicken for a protein and we called it dinner.  Delicious!

1 year ago:   Strawberry Eating Season and Strawberry Mousse
2 years ago:  Cherry Tart and the Weight Loss Challenge
3 years ago:  Hiving the Bees and Bee Cupcakes

May 1, 2015  Sunrise 5:18 am  Sunset 10:20 pm  Temp.  H 55/L 32

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.