Monday, May 16, 2016

Ruining the Suprise


I had been working on this surprise for Dave for MONTHS.   I arranged to have the curly haired boy and the DIL come up for Memorial day as a surprise.  The tickets were purchased, everyone else in the family knew, except Dave, and we were just waiting.

Well, the day I called 911 twice, on accident (I'll tell you about that later), and the whole day was kinda messed up.  I was really tired at the end of the day and when I walked downstairs to tell Dave I was going to bed, my guard was down.

Dave was working on the computer...

"What are you doing?" I asked.
"I was trying to order you a present, but they won't ship to Alaska," he responded.
"Just have them mail it to Zach and Manetta and they can bring it when they come up." I sleepily replied.
"When are Zach and Manetta coming up?" he asked.

I turned around and went right to bed.  MONTHS of planning out the window with that one comment.

Well, Dave followed me upstairs and wouldn't stop until I gave him the details.  Z and M are coming on Thursday morning before Memorial Day to spend the weekend with us.  We were all looking forward to the surprise for Dave, and I blew it.

All there is to do now is drink, and wait for that Thursday.

Drunken Watermelon
Sandra Lee

1 4-Lb seedless watermelon
2 cups tequila
1 cup Grand Mariner
Lemon-lime soda

With a knife, shave off the stem end of the watermelon, just enough so that it sits flat.  Cut about 3 inches off the top of the watermelon.  Using a melon baller, make melon balls out of about half of the watermelon; place on large baking sheet, on plastic wrap, in single layer and freeze.

Scoop out remaining watermelon with a large spoon.  Leave the rind intact to use as a punch bowl, if desired.  In batches, transfer scooped-out melon (not the melon balls) to blender and puree.  Push watermelon puree through a strainer to remove pulp.  Return pureed watermelon to watermelon-rind punch bowl or transfer to a large pitcher.  Stir in tequila and Grand Mariner.  Top off with lemon lime soda.  To serve, pour, or ladle, mixture into glasses, add a few frozen melon balls.
Makes 12 servings, or serves 1 if you ruined a surprise of your own.
Pizza Night...the kids are doing all the work.

1 year ago:   Updated Wedge Salad
2 years ago:  Bacon Burgers
3 years ago:  Compound Butter and the Joy of an Airline Upgrade
4 years ago:  BBQ Chicken Salad and Planning ahead

May 16, 2016  Sunrise 4:22 am, Sunset 11:15 pm   Temp H 50/L 40˚F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or share an idea. Hearing from you really brightens my day.